Chapter 17

Loki, as Odin, walked you around the main parts of the palace grounds, some of which you had seen on last night's escapade. In the warm daylight of the evening sun, the city was the most beautiful thing you had ever seen. There were lots of stares from people wondering who you were, and apparently 'Odin' was content to keep them in the dark. Everything was as seen in the Thor movies, grand in scale and elegant in nature. You wanted to stop and watch everything, from folk dances performed by the townspeople, to golden fountains of intricate design. Loki, however, insisted that you did not have much daylight left and should continue if you were to cover any decent amount of the city. Nonetheless, he was smiling at your overjoyed reaction to anything you saw.

Despite what he may say about his home and its people, he really loves this place. He has so much pride for it, you thought, as he was explaining the history of a particular set of statues.

As the sun was finally reaching the horizon, Loki walked you back to the palace and towards a familiar spot.

"Last time I entered there I woke up in a dungeon," you said as Loki held the tree back for you to enter.

He just rolled his eyes, "Yes, well, you weren't exactly cooperating were you?"

"I wasn't exactly not cooperating either," you mumbled as you stepped into the brush once again.

As before, the light seemed to disappear when Loki let the branches fall behind him. In a flash of green, Odin was gone and Loki stood beside you, not that you could see him in the blackness. He took the lead, walking down the hidden path to the balcony. It was much earlier in the evening this time around, with the sun still visible on the horizon. Immediately you understood why he had wanted to bring you here again. The sunset was the most spectacular one you had ever had the privilege of witnessing, the planet all the more gorgeous when basking in the orange light. The sky was a brilliant swirl of colors, far surpassing any in earth's sky. You walked straight past Loki, leaning on the balcony and taking in the wonder with wide eyes. Loki sat on the bench behind you, not saying a word. There was nothing you could say that wasn't already apparent, so you remained silent and enjoyed the moment.

When the tip of the sun began to dip below the horizon, you finally turned to Loki. He was staring sadly at the view, but quickly dawned his normal look when he noticed you were watching.

"Did your mom show you this place?" you asked.

He looked at you in surprise.

"Oh, I-um...well, I overheard you last night, only some of it," you stuttered, as his expression grew cold.

"It is none of your concern, mortal," he said in a deathly low tone. "And if I were you," he continued, standing up to glare down at you, "I would be very careful before discussing things you have no business knowing."

This would usually be the time where a nice person would see that he is hurting and would continue to talk gently to him until he calmed down...but you were a hothead.

"Back off," you snapped, pushing him away from you, "It's not my fault I overheard you last night. In case you hadn't noticed, I was trying to hide from you. I didn't choose your secret balcony on purpose."

He grabbed your arm, stepping even closer than he was before.

"This is not the first time you have brought up my mother, or other aspects of my life that are mine and mine alone. I do not need you to remind me of things I never forget!" he yelled in your face.

"I only brought up other things to get you to not kill me in a dungeon!" you yelled back, "Or when you were acting like a child and needed someone to knock some sense into you! But this? I asked a question, Loki, that's all. If you don't want to talk about it, that's all you need to say. Being louder doesn't mean you're right!"