Chapter 7: Gameplan

You woke up and stared at the ceiling for a minute, trying to remember the dream you had had that made you feel happy. You shot upright, remembering everything that happened and looking around to find that it was real. You allowed yourself to fall backwards again, stretching your arms over your head and smiling.

I still can't believe this is real, you thought as you rolled over to check the clock on the nightstand. It was 11, which honestly wasn't late compared to how much your lazy butt slept in on days off, but you doubted superheroes were asleep that late in the day. You got out of bed and walked to your door, peeking out for any signs of life. You looked down to find bags of neatly folded and freshly purchased clothes outside your door. Carrying them into your room, you dropped them on the bed and started shuffling through them.

You chose some jeans, a purple athletic t-shirt, and some boots. You noticed it had been slightly chilly out yesterday, with this universe seemingly farther along into fall, so you brought a black quarter zip to throw over you if you needed it. Surprisingly, all of the clothes were your size.

When you reached the kitchen, Steve was the only one in sight, sitting at the counter drinking what looked like a protein shake.

"Already finished a run?" you asked, guessing based on his outfit that you were right.

"Does my movie give you my daily schedule as well?" He asked with a smile.

"No, just seems like the thing you'd do."

"Well, I guess being your favorite character makes me predictable to you."

"Oh, shut up," you said, walking past him to the fridge, "I'm quickly regretting ever saying that."

"Just be glad that your favorite character wasn't Tony," he laughed.

"Oh yeah, I'd definitely be hearing it more from him. His head doesn't need to get any bigger."

You didn't trust yourself not to burn down the kitchen while attempting to make anything, so you grabbed a bagel, popped it in the toaster, and sat down at the opposite end of the counter from Steve. It was hard to find things to say to Captain America, and you had to stop yourself from staring.

"So, where is everyone?" you asked after a minute or two of awkward silence

"Nat is probably still training with Sam, last I saw of Clint he was on the phone with his wife, Rhodey is in the main lab with Tony, and Wanda is down by the lake."

"And Vision?"

"The man disappears through walls, so I've given up trying to keep track of him."

You nodded, thinking you had a pretty good idea of where Vision would be. You sat in silence for a bit, eating the bagel that was now out of the toaster.

"Look," you started, "about some of the things I said yesterday---"

He cut you off before you could finish, "Wren, it's fine. You had to prove your point, otherwise you wouldn't be able to help us."

"Yeah, but I coulda been a little more sensitive with, you know...Peggy and all of that."

He seemed to stare into space sadly, as if watching a memory play in his head. Finally he looked down and forced a grin before looking back up at you, "You were stressed and panicked. Others would have been worse had they been in your situation. I can't imagine this is all easy for you to take in."

"Oh no, it's super easy. You know, once you get past the glowing portal that shouldn't be possible, the fancy tech that shouldn't be possible, your favorite movie character sitting in a kitchen with you that shouldn't be possible." You trailed off, smiling as you took another bite of your bagel. Steve laughed and walked over to put a hand on your shoulder. You almost jumped at the touch, which made him pull back and put his hand on the counter instead.