Chapter 39: When in Rome

Surprisingly, you woke by yourself the next morning, no Ceyla fetching you because you slept in until noon or anything. Based on the cool, misty air and low-horizon sun, you guessed it was much earlier than you typically woke. There was nothing exhausting or stressful to keep you in bed like on your past visits, so your excitement at living, actually LIVING, in Asgard was enough to get you up. Spending the morning on the recamier on the balcony, you watched as the mist dissipated, the dew settled, the air grew clear and crisp, and early dawn light shimmered off of the city. Any morning back at home paled in comparison to the beauty and peace you felt as you sat, wrapped in a light blanket, watching the city slowly wake below you.

When the sun had risen to a decent height, an hour or so later, you strolled back inside to prepare for the day. As tempting as it was to play dress-up again and step into another Asgardian gown, you thought how silly you'd look dressing like them after less than a day into your stay. Instead, you pulled on your leggings, boots, and a new top Nat and Valkyrie had made you buy. You'd brought your usual favorite comfy outfits with you, but you'd also packed quite a few nicer looking shirts and bottoms. It was Asgard, after all. You already felt underdressed in whatever you wore. When Ceyla came to wake you, there was no hiding the surprise on her face as she found you dressed, hair done, and ready to start your day.

"I know, I'm actually up!"

"I thought I must still be asleep, for I couldn't believe my own eyes," she giggled.

"I'm not sure teaching you to be sassy was a good move, but I'm proud nonetheless."

"I fear, to the amusement of some and shock of many, I've retained what you taught me, even when you're gone."

"Amusement, shock, and 'dear god, get her out of here' seem to be the three common responses to my behavior, so let's try to keep you to the first two," you chuckled.

"I missed you, Wren," she smiled, walking in and sitting comfortably amongst your company. In the brief stays here, you really had spent quite a bit of your free time with her. You weren't lying when you said you were proud of the change. She treated you like a friend, and she wasn't as quick to act the fearful servant.

"I missed you too! How've you been the last couple months? How's your ma, is she feeling better now?"

"Much, thank you for remembering. She's a great deal stronger."

"Aw I'm so glad to hear that. How about you? What've you been up to?"

"Oh, the usual. Though...I may have met someone," her eyes flickered up from where she'd looked bashfully down at her hands, a smile too joyful to contain spreading on her face.

"Spill it all, now!" you flopped on your bed like the teenage girl you always were.

She told you all about the young man she'd met while doing her runs in town. He was now courting her, and, by all accounts, they seemed to be getting along swimmingly. Simply by the way she talked about him, you knew she loved him quite a lot.

"Oh dear, I've been speaking of my own life with little regard for yours! I'm sorry, I got carried away---"

"It's fine, Ceyla! I wanted to hear all of it. I've been in an action movie for the last few months, I could do with a bit of romance story thrown in."

"How have you been? I heard you're up here because of some man?"

You gave her the rundown of the largest events since leaving Asgard back in October. 

"What do you think he's planning?" she asked when you got around to Zemo's most recent activity.

"I wish I knew. But we're past what I've seen, what I've prevented. Now we're into theorizing what the next movie could be. Logically, I don't know what he could do that doesn't involve forcing info from me."