Chapter 22: Horror Movie

"Miss, wake up!" you heard Friday say, pulling you from a dream. You sat up and turned on your lamp.

"What is it?"

No response.

"Friday?"

Still nothing.

"Friday!" you shouted, feeling more nervous by the second.

Your clock read 11:57 PM, a weird time for Friday to be talking to you. Yet you were nearly certain you had heard her voice. Why was she silent then? It didn't make sense for her not to respond, let alone after waking you up. As if things couldn't get weirder, your lamp shut off.

"What the hell," you grumbled, staggering through the dark to reach the light switch by the door. Flicking it up and down did nothing, yet you still did it multiple times like an idiot.

No way the power goes out at the Avenger's compound, they'd have a generator or something fancier. And why wasn't Friday responding? Why would she wake me up just to ignore me?

You realized the power shutting off right after Friday went silent wasn't a coincidence, and your heart started pounding a bit harder. After a minute of sitting in the dark, contemplating what the hell was going on, relief washed over you as a thought entered your head.

Of course it's Loki! Little shit is going all horror movie on me as payback.

Seeing as Friday was such a chill A.I., you knew she was in on it. Loki had her wake you up and then stay quiet. Who else could control the lights like that? They were both in on a very elaborate hoax, one you'd enjoy not falling for.

"Nope," you said out loud for Friday to hear, "Nice try, but I'm not being a dumb horror movie girl who will go investigate, even if it is just a prank. You can't get me out of this room."

You laid back down in bed and tried to go to sleep, but suspense was keeping you awake. You expected Loki to jump out any second...what if you hadn't foiled whatever his plan was? Afterall, Friday hadn't spoken or turned the lights back on yet, so she must be holding out for something. Suddenly you held your breath, certain that you had heard a thud in the distance...was it from downstairs? But it would have to have been a rather large noise for you to even hear part of it from here.

"It isn't going to work," you told Friday, "You might as well tell Loki now."

However, it was working. You were curious what Loki had done to try to draw you out. Had he broken something? Friday wouldn't have let him do that. Unless he promised to fix whatever it was perhaps? You also wanted to give in and play along because you loved horror movies for a reason. Being scared was fun, and if Loki was behind the scare, then this was probably going to be the best thrill of your life. Should you really sleep through it just to stick it to him?

"Ugh, alright!" you groaned, throwing your covers off and hurrying to the door.

It was a particularly dark night, with only the faintest moonlight pouring in through the windows. The usual glow from the lounge was gone, and it was deathly quiet.

"Ok, I'm already scared," you spoke quietly to yourself. You smiled, though, and kept going.

The elevators were out with the rest of the power, so it appeared Loki wanted you to take the stairs. Naturally, that meant you were checking over your shoulder every second on the way down. Talking out loud was your way of calming yourself when trying not to be scared, so you chatted the whole way.

"Can we get this scare over with Loki? I wanna go back to bed," you said as you walked down the hall to the kitchen. That was a lie, you were enjoying the late night escapade through a pitch black compound.