Chapter 14: The Throne Room

The stone staircase was narrower than you'd expect from a palace, though you seemed to be in the deep underbelly of the castle, so it probably wasn't an important or frequently used passage. It spiraled as it went...and boy did it seem to go for a while.

"Damn do these stairs ever end?" you asked, breathing a little heavier than you should be.

"A mortal's lack of stamina never ceases to astound me," he replied, "Your physical state is truly pathetic."

"Well, I won't argue with you there, about me, I mean, not the human race. I grew up playing a sport like a lot of people and I keep myself somewhat exercised and all, but my occupation doesn't include walking up a hundred flights with a god."

"And what is it that you do precisely?" he asked in a snarky tone, clearly ready to throw jabs at you for whatever job you had.

"Librarian," you answered, "I used to love the library when I was little. Joined summer book clubs and everything."

You waited for the imminent jibe from the king of sass, but it never came.

You were about to comment on his silence when you noticed the end of the stairs ahead of you. You reached for the door, but then turned to Loki, not sure if you were supposed to go out.

He sighed irritably, "Is opening doors something you're taught in your world, or would you prefer I teach you?"

"I was just making sure I was supposed to Mr. Sass," you said tiredly, turning the handle and pushing the door forwards.

You walked into another hall that led to an all too familiar sight. Before you were the Asgardian cells.

"So I was in the dungeon below the dungeon? Do I really seem that dangerous?" you asked, turning to look at Loki, but Loki was not there. In his place was Odin.

"Ohhhh, you needed me somewhere where you could talk as Loki and not Odin. Got it."

"So there is a brain in that dull head of yours," Odin said in sass that was uncharacteristic of him. There was something amusing about Odin talking that way, and you couldn't help but grin.

"That is so weird," you said.

"Yes, well stop staring at me like that or the whole royal guard will know something is afoot. You would not like the repercussions should you spill my secret," Odin added menacingly.

"Yeah yeah, I get it. My lips are sealed."

"If only that were true," he said.

You smacked his arm jokingly, before remembering who it was you'd just hit.

He looked at you with astonishment mixed with outrage.

"I'm sorry," you said, giving a look of exaggerated fear while squeezing your lips together to hold back the laugh.

"It is my sort of luck that the universe would send a sickness like you to my aid," he grumbled, heading up the main stairs from the dungeons. He kept his voice low, as you were just about to pass two guards on duty. Both men put their right arms across their chests and bowed as Loki passed by. You waited until you were far enough away before speaking again.

"Your last attempt at insulting me gives me an idea," you started. He rolled his eyes and muttered something in another language before you continued. "Seeing as you are intent on not using my name, you can call me: your Guardian Angel." You finished with a dramatic wave of your hands.

"I would rather throw myself at Thanos a thousand times over," he drawled, "And besides, I thought we had already agreed on a name, didn't we, darling?"