Chapter 18

Peter Parker's "I could have stuck the landing better" was all that played through your head as you pulled yourself up from the grass. You looked up to see the compound in front of you.

"There's got to be a better way of getting to this blasted compound that doesn't require falling from the sky," you groaned, brushing off your clothes and heading towards the entrance.

The team met you half-way, rushing out the door but slowing down once seeing you alive and well.

"Well, she's not dead at least," Barton grumbled, looking you up and down as you approached.

"Very observant, Clint," you smiled, stopping a bit in front of the crew.

"You're goddamn lucky she's alright," Tony barked at Clint, and it wasn't until now that you noticed Tony's angry face.

"Don't take it out on Barton, I made the choice to stay and see Asgard for a night. Quite lovely actually, y'all should consider vacationing there sometime."

The others, though holding stern expressions, seemed relieved that you were fine, even daring to smirk at your comment. Tony was having none of it.

"No no, you don't get to speak," Tony snapped, "Because you made a promise that you knew what you were doing, yet the second Reindeer Games batted his blue eyes, you spend the night with him."

"Oh for crying out loud Tony," you yelled, "It was a city of gold on an alien planet, so, yes, I took the chance to explore for one night."

"Oh, so you just explored all by yourself? No kissing up to your favorite god, no holding hands with the Asgardian Norman Bates?"

"Tony, relax," Steve interjected.

"No, I don't think I will, Cap, because I want to know just what she decided was a good idea to do for a night in a place where she had no backup and no escape plan."

Steve went to say something, but you waved him off.

"It's ok, Cap, there's no reason I can't explain."

Tony folded his arms, waiting for you to continue.

"Loki said he wanted us to stay," you said pointing to Clint as you spoke, "Because he owed me a debt for coming here to save his life. He said he doesn't like being indebted. Now, you may not trust him, but, as I told Clint, I know more about him than you guys do. Therefore, I trusted that he was going to make good on what he said. I'm the only one who can save his royal ass, so at the very least Loki would want me alive for selfish reasons. I used that to my advantage and got to experience the most beautiful place in the universe. Had I thought there was a chance Loki was planning something malevolent, I never would have stayed. But all logic and reason pointed to him needing me alive, so I was in no immediate danger."

"Her logic is sound," Vision said after you had finished. Tony turned as if wanting to argue with him but deciding against it. After a few seconds of contemplation, Tony sighed.

"I still think you're an idiot," he said, "But you didn't die, so you're not grounded."

You laughed at his ridiculous statement, and he cracked a smile for the first time since you'd arrived, assuming his normal care-free look.

"I'm having Friday give you the once-over though," Tony said, leading the group back inside.

"That's not necessary Tony," you tried to say in your best complaining voice, desperately hoping the panic inside you wasn't shining through. If Friday detected a bruise where there visibly was none, you'd have a much harder time thinking of a believable lie.

"Non-negotiable," Tony shot back.

"You can literally see I'm fine, I don't need a check-up."

"Yeah, Tony, lighten-up," Nat said, stepping in stride with you, "You've harassed her enough for today."