Chapter 29: I Love Sam and Bucky...

"You came back?" Steve asked, confusion distributed equally amongst his face and the others.

"Well, I stopped in for something, but she had other plans," Buck replied, nodding to you. Steve looked like he wanted to say so many things, but this wasn't the time for sentimental speeches or warm embraces. Everyone else in the room made it awkward, especially with their guarded looks and defensive stances.

"I told you not to wander," Clint scolded, and you could tell his hand was itching to grab an arrow. Clearly, he didn't trust the Winter Soldier.

"You told me to stay in the building, and I did."

"I don't think he meant in Cyborg Gramps' room," Sam said, earning a look from Bucky.

"If I hadn't been there, he would have run again," you argued.

"Boys, shutup will you?" Nat said, stepping forward, "She did your job for you."

"Thank you, Wren," Steve said gratefully.

"How do we know we can trust you?" Sam addressed Buck.

"You don't," Bucky answered, "Because I don't trust myself."

"Oh that's reassuring," Sam scoffed.

"We'll start with something small," Steve said, "Tell me something Buck would know."

Bucky thought for a second before speaking, "Your mom's name was Sarah. You used to wear---"

"Newspapers in his shoes," you finished excitedly, not intending to blurt it out but doing so anyway.

Bucky looked at you like you were an alien, turning to Steve for an explanation.

"How'd she do that?"

"You'll get used to it," Steve smiled, "I'll explain it all later. We should grab whatever stuff you need from your apartment."

"There isn't anything worth taking," Buck said, "I don't have many clothes. This is all I need." He held up his backpack, which he must have grabbed when you were distracted in the apartment.

"Tony will take care of the clothes issue," you said.

"Let's get going then," Steve said, everyone turning to follow him out the door, except Sam.

"So just like that we're supposed to trust him?" he asked, as everyone filed by him.

Bucky gave him an "I win" smile as he passed.

"Yes, Sam," you said, giving him a pat on the arm as you walked by.

"When he goes Arnold Schwarzenegger on your asses, don't say I didn't warn you," he muttered, bringing up the rear.

The trip to the quinjet was uneventful and awkwardly quiet. You would have broken the silence, as is your talent, and spoken with Buck, had it not been for the fact that there weren't many small-talk subjects that wouldn't be uncomfortable at the moment.

How've you been? How's life?  Can I see the metal arm? all seem like bad talking points. You were definitely going to talk about the arm later on after Bucky had adjusted and it wasn't as sore of a topic, but now, in this tender stage of his recovery, was not the time to fangirl over his Hydra arm. Steve seemed deep in thought, Clint and Natasha were walking ahead of the group, and Sam looked cranky. Therefore, you had to accept the quiet trip, despite there being so much you wanted to discuss.

You stared at Buck practically the whole walk, which you were sure didn't go unnoticed by him. At one point he looked up and smiled, before dropping the grin and staring at Sam, who was watching. You tried not to laugh at the petty feud that was already starting between them.