Chapter 38: I Love You, My Sons

Notes: Sorry it's late...again. The title kinda makes sense, but like kinda doesn't, I just love that heartbreakingly precious line, and my brother was like "I love you my sons" when I mentioned Odin and asked for a title cuz I was lazy. Also, I know it isn't huge, but I never thought I'd have 20k views on something I started just for fun and randomly decided to post. Thank you so much to all of you! Every view, vote, and comment means so much cuz I love that people can find enjoyment through something I do. Love you all! Oh! And someone commented something that brought up a good point last chapter. Even though Vol. 2 came out in 2017, it takes place shortly after Vol.1, so Mantis is with them at this point and the whole Ego thing has happened. Thanks for pointing that out (you know who you are😊), as other people may not know that.

"What part of 'you don't go anywhere without me' didn't seem to stick in that nerdy mind of yours??" Tony asked, angry more at what had happened than he was at you.

"Come on, have we followed that rule since you said it? It wasn't a real rule, that's ridiculous," you defended, sitting in the kitchen with the rest of the team.

"Well, if you haven't been following it, I wouldn't know would I because I wouldn't be there, hence the 'you breaking the rule' part of taking me with you," he said, leaning his hands on the table to look sternly at you. He spoke to you almost like he did Peter. Though you were older than Parker, you were still the youngest in the room. Heck, you still felt like a teenager most of the time, so Tony's protection over you didn't feel irritating, it was sweet.

"Tony, you know she's been out with people since," Rhodey said, "Don't try that. I was with her today, ok? I shouldn't have left her alone."

"You went to the bathroom, Rhodey, you didn't get up and drive away. Who here thought I wouldn't be safe in a frozen yogurt shop in broad daylight. In fact, I wasn't really in danger."

"Excuse me?!" Tony looked at you like you'd just slapped him, "Weren't in danger? How does any of what happened today not scream danger? Is it me or her? It's her right, she's nuts?" Tony looked to the others.

"He knows your whereabouts, knows your schedule, and can walk up to you as he pleases. Darling, you clearly underestimate how serious this is, or you're choosing to ignore his actions and threats once again," Loki said, looking as grim as Tony.

"Yes, thank you asshat," Tony said genuinely, "Wren, you know it's bad when I'm agreeing with him."

"Zemo doesn't have the backing of Hydra anymore," Nat said from where she sat, arms folded, across the table, "He would have had a hell of a time trying to kidnap her under the nose of everyone in that store and on that street."

"Exactly!" you pointed to her, looking to Tony as if she'd won the argument for you.

"That doesn't mean he wouldn't have found a way," Wanda said worriedly.

"He's proven to be creative with his methods, thoughtful in his steps, and still manages to have intel on us that we were unaware he had. He's in control, whether we know it or not, and he's confident. We shouldn't rule out his ability to take her, if he wishes, even when surrounded by the public," Vision said. 

You noticed, when he spoke, that he was sounding increasingly...normal? He was still wonderfully articulate, as always, but there was something about his tone and speech pattern that reminded you of his Infinity War self, where he's less awkward and more natural.

Does that work with the time frame though? I don't think it does. We're in the Civil War year, where he should still be very much robotic in his manners...Infinity War is two years later. Who knows though, maybe he adapts and evolves sooner than two years, it just happens off-screen during that time-gap? Still, this would be early.