Chapter Ninety-One: Two Lies and A Truth

a light chapter for you (╯▽╰ )

-chapter ninety-

FINN

The death of a friend wasn't new.

Like before, the ghost of death followed me without fail. It always hides in my shadows and ready to devour another friend, but always sparing me to feel the pain. Minsan ang sarap na lang sumigaw ng malakas at tanungin kung ano ang ginawa kong masama para maramdaman lahat ng 'to.

Iniwas ko na ang tingin at tumalikod bago pa matumba si June. It was torture seeing her eyes and hearing her words. Hindi ko na kaya pang makita ang ebidensyang wala na siya. Maybe it's my own way of inflicting revenge- I would refuse her dead body, similar to how she made me witness and hold two deaths.

I didn't know where I was heading. Ang alam ko lang ay naglalakad ako papunta sa norteng direksiyon. I knew that I passed buildings and broken walls. But I didn't stop. I continued walking, both mind and heart empty.

"Sparrow."

I heard the familiar nickname but I didn't stop walking. Naramdaman ko ang pagsunod niya sa'kin pero hindi ko na lang pinansin. I didn't have the energy to respond, nor stop.

"Sparrow." he called again, cold fingers wrapping around my wrist. Napahinto ako dahil doon. "Saan mo balak pumunta?"

Nilingon ko si Wes at nakita siyang taimtim na nakatitig sa'kin. He searched my face, eyes a mix of serious and concerned, and his jaw clenched. Mukha siyang galit, pero sa ano naman? There was nothing to get angry about. The source of all problems is now gone.

Umiling ako sa tanong niya. Hindi ko din alam.

Wes stared at me for a minute before clearing his throat. "Do you... want to go somewhere else?"

I blinked at him. Nagtatanong ko siyang tiningnan. Nagtataka ako kung anong ibig niyang sabihin.

"Just to momentarily forget everything. If you want to."

"Saan?"

The corner of his lips lifted when I answered. "You'll see when you get there."

Hinintay niya akong magdesisyon. Wes' eyes looked bright and excited, a contrast to the emotionless one he always had. Kaya wala akong nagawa at tumango na lang. I didn't want to erase that expression on his face.

His hold on my wrist dropped to clasp my hand. His eyes met mine before I could ask. "Baka masakit kapag sa wrist mo. May mga sugat ka pa."

I didn't answer, pero hindi rin ako umayaw. So his hand remained as he led us to the place he wanted to go. We went past buildings and roads, jumping between broken cements and ditches. We travelled in the shadows of the alleys, undetected from players who were busy playing the game. The earlier incident now fading from my memory, as I stared at Wes' broad back and watched how his hand tightly held mine.

I wonder, why does Wes always arrives at the perfect time? Whenever I find myself alone, helpless, and in doubt, bakit lagi na lang siya sumusulpot pagkatapos? And it doesn't help that his presence, that his comfort, makes me vulnerable. Na kapag nandiyan siya ay pwede ko ng ilabas lahat ng luha at galit. Na pwede ko nang buksan ang damdamin.

We stopped in front of a tall building. Ito na siguro ang pinakataas na gusaling nakita ko sa laro. Wes gave me a quick glance before entering first. We started to climb a number of stairs that would have left me exhausted and annoyed if it wasn't for the view that welcomed me in.

Binuksan ni Wes ang pintuan, revealing the beautiful yet deadly crimson sky. The numbers on the timer seemed like giants now. At mula sa kinatatayuan ko ay parang pwede ko nang mahawakan ito, if I just move closer to the edge. But when I reached the railing, and my eyes wandered down, I had my breath knocked out of me.