✓Chapter 34

Arrow Cuts

Billie's pov

The tension in the air is palpable as we make our way up the stairs of the dark building the static from the radio growing lesser and lesser.

The dog splattered on the asphalt was the only clue Sophie had left us and we hope we found the right building, everything was quiet and not a single zombie roamed inside the glass walls.

The only sound in the building was that of our footsteps and breathing, communicating with signs as we come to every floor checking it quickly only to find no sign of my girls.

My grip on my gun tightens as we continue climbing up fast,I just couldn't stop my gut feeling just keeps yelling at me that something isn't right with this place,like we're walking into a trap.

Aerith stops before looking at the next floor cautiously before turning to gesture me forward. Finneas,Milan and Leah push to the side slightly to let me pass and I quickly rush up the stairs stepping next to the woman who gestures at cracked door that looks in shambles.

The first sign of a probable struggle that we've come across, slowly we all part as our guns lead the way,fingers on a trigger,we make a semicircle to cover each side.

Aerith and I take the front Leah and Finneas cover the sides as Milan watches our back.

My fingers gently run over the marks with furrowed eyebrows as my nose crinkles slightly.

"Dog marks" I whisper before looking into the room,glass scattered around the empty space,with browning tiles,only it's not dust,it's blood,very old blood that has seeped into the white tiles.

"It smells like dogs in there" Finneas whispers and I nod.

"I'll check it out" I whisper pushing the door gently and it opens with a loud creak making me clench my teeth.

Glass crunches under my boot the further in i venture,a chain rattles outside in a sudden gust of wind and I turn to look at the view,A wide hole in the glass gets my attention and I move towards it before looking down to stare at the other building it's slightly lower and the dog lays dead on the asphalt,there's also scratching on the other building.

A little light bounces off a hole and I squat down looking closely to find it's a bullet and I sigh licking my lips.

"This is definitely the building" I whisper before turning around to look as I shake my head,if this building is this empty I wonder who has my girls, soap poured over from a five litre container gets my attention and I quickly move towards it before realizing it was yanked from the closet.

Cautiously I reach for the door laying my ear on it only to come up empty and I breath slightly. Before laying a hand on the handle and I quickly create space between me and the door as I yanked in open before gripping my gun as it opened and a dark blur lunges at me,I quickly duck to the side on my back rolling over before sliding over the tiles on my front as I knelt on my one knee the other foot raised my gun raised at the blur.

It suddenly skids across the floor before stopping as it turned effortlessly on the tiles looking back at me.

My breath picks up but I refuse to panic as i hold my breath staring back at it.

It's something like an elite or a dog.

Black dry peeling skin litters it's physique as it stands on its hands and legs,legs that are bent backwards probably the reason as to why it has to use its hands also,or maybe it was disabled at the time if it's turning and it's instincts pushed it to use all limbs to feed.