✓Chapter 5

Mutating

My boots crunch the asphalt as I try to escape the zombie that has been pursuing me for hours,the traps I made were useless it didn't stumbled into them like all the other zombies

It's like it can think,it doesn't look that dead either,I stop running, reaching for my gun as I shoot two of the runners that were coming for me... I hate it when they feed and become energetic.

I jumped into an alley trying to catch my breath I look around finding the emergency stairs too far for my short legs,I'm tired of running from that thing.

"Why the fuck did you have to get caught Fin?" I whisper to myself.

A can being kicked brought me from my daze and my eyes followed it as it trailed from the other side to my side of the alley...  The zombie I've been trying to get away from!

It's lips were now eaten up showing it's dirty brown teeth and rottening gums,his nose bit off dark blood running from it,his cynical smile and whitish blood shot eyes gave it the most sickly feature I could think off.

I took off again but it stood there watching me before going the other way,I stopped for a minute when I saw it get out of a building with all the doors open.. how the fuck is it doing that?!

I raised my gun aiming for it's head but when I pressed the trigger it clicked... Out of bullets! Fuck!

I ran my hands over my body but only found small knives and one magazine. I can't take it on with them... If it's so smart as to cut me off that fast I wonder how I would survive in a short distance combat.

I can't reload the gun it might be too close to to me or running before I'm done... Can it run? Most probably how does it move so fast? I really wish Fin was here.

I took out the longest knife which was like about 12 inches... I'm sure a kitchen knife beats this! It got closer and my eyes scanned it I take a foot back getting ready to dodge if it attacked,when it was close,it stood at a distance running it's eyes over my body.

I loud shriek errupted from it's throat as it tore through the silent air followed by a series of hungry growls after a while everything went still,it's eyes settled back on me and it started moving again.

From the distance I could see two more runners coming for me behind it,fuck! I grasped the knife tighter as I watched his teeth chatter,a huff and low shriek coming from it again as it smelled my blood.

C'mon attack stop taking your time– wait! It wants me to be cornered,it's waiting for the runners to get here so I'd be distracted for it to attack,my arm is still healing!

How the hell is this happening?! Are they mutating? That would be the only reason as to why it's smart... Mutation.

I decided to strike first and ruin it's plans because three zombies on one? I'm not about to die today,I threw a small knife at it lodging into it's neck,it choked as it's glare turned more menacing.

It moved more aggressively towards me and I couldn't be happier... Ok I couldn't be more scared I don't know what's it capable off. I am scared!

I wasn't expecting it to initiate a kick throwing me back a few feet away and I felt a pain on my side,I moved my hand to my side only to find it wet I brought it up finding it bleeding,so it can fight somehow...

I stood up fast knowing this was bad,blood will attract more of them! The wound burned as I put pressure on it while holding the knife out... I could feel myself get dizzy.

'Just scream...' her words echoed into my head but she might not show,if I don't scream I'll be dead in a few seconds.

I gathered all my courage bracing myself for the pain I was about to put my vocal cords and new wound through