✓Chapter 42

Back In Cali.

Billie's pov

The car rocks gently as we make way into L.A. Ice crunches beneath the heavy tires sometimes leaving a trail of dark blood. Insinuating that our driver run a few staggering zombies over.

My hand sinks into the surprisingly soft fur of the animal at my feet. Brigg's gently purrs and I smile running my hand a little bit deeper. My hand sinks as my fingers disappear, making contact with warm skin and the animals ears go down a little. A sign that it trusted me enough to let down it's guard.

"Running over zombies like that isn't safe." Milan says breaking the comfortable silence we had accustomed ourselves to for hours. "Why?"

"The car might be big, tires elevated and all. But one wrong hulk smash on a group could get stuck beneath the car and have us out in the open with a broken axle. An experience you don't want especially with lurking zombies." He says staring down at the driver, who nods and starts avoiding most of the zombies choosing to let the cars side take the hit instead.

I turn, looking at everyone in the vehicle. The streets are empty, buildings coated with little snow and the place is quiet. There's dark smoke in the distance. "Do you want to be dropped off at Millie's or do you prefer we first head over to our hideout?" Mari asks turning around from the front.

"Millie's." I say without a beat and she nods turning to Milan, who took the map before scribbling a little and slowly the car takes a turn.

Sophie eyes me and lick my lips ignoring her burning stare. "What are you thinking about?" She asks and i blink. "Greg." I mumble lowly and her head moves to the side. "Greg?" I nod. "What about him?"

"He got bit saving Ronin and me." I whisper looking at the child playing with Ethan. "He was about old as him." I whisper staring at Morgan's grandfather. "Best teacher we all could have asked for." I whisper and Sophie nods slowly. "I still don't get it." She says and I smile.

"Jinx said to get him off the pole. The last time I saw him. He was supposed to have taken a bullet to the head. I heard the last bullet echo. I don't know if it was code Jinx was trying to send. Either way Greg probably didn't die. I'm just surprised why he chose to turn into one of those things. He hated them." I whisper and Sophie nods.

"No one from Hestia knew about Greg correct?" She asks and I nod. "Then Jinx probably did see him or tell about him." She says. "I don't have a problem with her seeing him or telling about him. I have a problem with the fact that he's probably running around eating survivors. He never wanted it for himself." I say and she nods. "I understand." She says just as the large dangerously hanging metal and glass building comes into my line of vision.

"Millie's." Aerith says and Ethan peeps before letting out a whistle. "You kids were busy." He says as the T-98 stops far from the building. "This car is like a beam of bright light calling for attention you know." Magness whispers from Aerith's side and Mari's colleagues raise brows. "I'm just saying." She mumbles before coughing.

She was probably the only one out of all us who is still literally in and out of it. She was hit hard with pneumonia for sure.

"So we just leave you all here?" Mari asks staring especially at Magness and Sophie shakes her head getting up. "I will take Briggs and snoop around. See if Morgan is in the area."

"I'm coming –" I get cut off by the cold stare she throws my way. "I'll come with you." Mari offers and Sophie nods. I glare at her back as she picks up a few weapons strapping them to her self while hiding a few knives in her boots.