✓Chapter 41

Fall Of Hestia.

Sophie's Pov

My feet dig into the snow without pause as my breath comes in short. The weighing bag beats at my back gently as the white cape flutters in the wind. I stop slightly to listen and I hear them. Footsteps!

Following me and they're not that far. "Fuck!" I whisper to myself before running again. I quickly up my pace and a low branch laden with snow gets my attention. I run towards it before leaping for it.

My already numb palms grab the branch shaking the heavy snow off and it hauls me up immediately. I slowly lift myself to it before balancing as I walk to the trunk.

There's a big hollow space filled with snow inside and I take my rifle before poking inside for any animal to find it empty and I quickly enter the space carefully making sure I'm hidden.

"Stop." My voice sounds into the woods and the hooded figure immediately comes to a halt looking around cautiously. It's snowing heavily and the white cape I have on me has been of great help in hiding the dark green colour of my hood and pants. The cape is actually pieces of sheets sewed together to cover me good. Courtesy of Aerith.

We were running out of food and I was the only one who could come out to hunt. I've been lucky since I got a couple of rabbits but it seems like the rest of the animals are in hiding. The meat will only keep us running for a few days but it will be enough until then.

Morgan used to go hunting alone but she's been gone for the past one week and everyone else still being held down by the cold. I was doing better enough to leave but after running around. I can feel it seeping into my bones. I wonder how Morgan did it, it's a mystery I have not turned into a popsicle yet.

I turn my attention back to the figure. They had been following me, ever since I came from the road. At first I thought it was an elite but I've taken down two elites who didn't even notice I was approaching since the blizzard was coming down harder each minute.

This one has been crouching in the snow looking at my prints everytime they lost sight of me. Must have thought I wasn't seeing them. I must admit they were quite good at it too. They kept a good distance, didn't make it seem like they were human but swayed with the wind every little while.

Most zombies are actually frozen and elites run at every live thing they see without second thought. My friend over here picked the wrong identity. "Why are you following me?" I ask and they sigh pulling the dark hood down.

Dark shoulder length hair falls from a tight ponytail, whipping in the air immediately. They turn around looking for me only to sigh when i don't appear. A girl.

"Name's Mari." She begins and I hum to myself. "I was sent by Morgan," she continues and I blink hearing the woman's name. "I'm looking for one Eilish." She says and I hum.

"I know Eilish, but why would Morgan send you?" I ask and she turns around looking for me again and I sigh. "Up here." I grumble and she turns coming face to face with the barrel of my gun aimed right at her.

"Can you please come down so we can talk without me yelling?" She asks and shake my head not giving her a choice. "I was with the group back in Hestia."

"Was?" I ask and she nods. "What do you mean by was?" I ask and she sucks gently on her bottom lip. "Hestia fell." She begins and I gasp, "what?"