Chapter 6 - cold

- Third POV -

After traveling through the icy lands of the South Pole for hours, Mizuki fainted from exhaustion. Mizuki had been traveling for about two years now. She was on the brink of life and death. Mizuki is a vegetarian, and as you can probably guess, the South Pole is too inhospitable for any plants to grow. She kept on healing her body to stay alive but there's a limit to how much her body can take. Not to far away, there's a small village. Sokka and Katara's village. Sokka was training a few kids and Katara was watching him out of boredom. Suddenly, Katara notices a figure in the distance, laying on the ground.

"Uhm, Sokka-" Katara gets cut off by her brother.

"Can't you see im training these warriors?!" Scoffs Sokka while Katara glares at him annoyed.

"I think I saw someone near our village" States Katara. Upon hearing this, Sokka raises a brow.

"What do you mean by that Katara?" Asks Sokka.

"I don't know, I think it was a girl. It seemed like she passed out in the snow. What if she's in danger?" Says Katara in a worried tone.

"Alright then. Warriors, your training is done for today. You may leave" The kids begin to walk away while Katara grabs Sokka's arm and starts running towards the mysterious person she saw earlier.

"There she is!" Katara points at a girl who's laying unconsciously on the ground. She's wearing a white dress and a short yellow coat. The girl looks incredibly exhausted and sick.

"We need to help her! I mean look at her clothes, she's going to freeze to death" Exclaims Katara while Sokka stares at the girl in silence.

"Sokka?"

"What if she's a spy" Katara facepalms annoyed. It's pretty obvious that the girl laying on the ground isn't a spy.

"Come on!" Protests Katara while Sokka raises his hands up in defeat.

"Alright" Sighs Sokka before picking up the girl with ease.

"Lets head back before she actually freezes to death" Says Sokka in a concerned tone while looking at Mizuki. Katara nods in agreement before following Sokka. As soon as the siblings arrive at the village with the stranger, they put her in an igloo. After doing so, Katara provides her with blankets and puts a few warm clothes on a drawer next to the bed.

❀❀❀

Mizuki woke up in an igloo, confused.

"Where am I?" Whispers Mizuki to herself. She gets out of bed and notices a pair of warm clothing on a drawer. Are those meant for me? Mizuki recalls a memory of her fainting and sighs frustrated. Someone probably found me...let's just hope whoever saved me had good intentions. Mizuki exits the igloo and looks around. She saw multiple small igloos and tents surrounded by children and women. Where all the men of this tribe? At war perhaps? Suddenly, Mizuki sees a pretty girl walking towards her and starts to panic.

"Hello, I'm Katara. My brother and I found you, so we decided to bring you to our village and try to take care of you. I hope you're feeling a bit better. It looked like you where going to freeze to death!" Says the girl.

"Hi, I'm Mizuki. Thank you for saving my life Katara" Replies Mizuki shyly. Mizuki had never talked to a girl her age before! It was kinda exciting, but scary.

"Technically I was the one who saved your life, you're welcome" Says a guy who seems to be a little older. Mizuki assumes that he's Katara's brother.

"Don't listen to him. That's my brother, his name is Sokka" Facepalms Katara.

"Oh okay!" Answers Mizuki who begins to look at the siblings with big puppy eyes. These people saved me just because they wanted to? Maybe I could stay here with them and find a new home...

"Sooo, where are you from?" Asks Sokka curiously. Mizuki hestitates for a second before answering that question, she can't tell Sokka that she's an airbender. Even if Sokka and Katara don't have any bad intentions, I can't say the same for the villagers.

"Oh, I'm from the Northern Water Tribe" Katara perks up after hearing Mizuki say that and pushes Sokka out of her way.

"HEY-" Sokka falls down into a pile of snow.

"Are you a waterbender?" Beams Katara while Mizuki giggles at Katara's reaction and nods her head. Meanwhile, Sokka's trying to wipe the snow off his clothes.

"That's so cool! Do you think you could teach me some waterbending moves?" Katara grabs Mizuki's hands out of excitement. Sokka crosses his arms out of jealousy. Why does his sister gets to hold the cute girl's hands, and not him?

"Yeah sure!" Replies Mizuki.

"Yay!" Exclaims Katara happily while Mizuki begins to smile.

"Oh by the way, your hair looks very long. Doesn't it bother you? If you want too I can braid it for you" Asks Katara who had noticed that Mizuki has very long hair with bangs.

"Actually, that'd be great!" Grins Mizuki. The two girls walk towards the igloo where Mizuki had slept last night, leaving Sokka alone.

"Yeah, just leave me behind. I have better things to do anyway!" Shouts Sokka at his sister who sticks her tongue out at him.

<time skip, Katara just finished braiding Mizuki's hair>

"Thanks Katara! I really like it" Gushes Mizuki, earning a smile from Katara.

"I'm glad you do" Replies Katara as she puts the brush away and starts making Mizuki's bed.

"Okay! your bed is ready, you can go sleep now. You must be tired from traveling so much" Mizuki smiles at Katara's kind words.

"Thankyou Katara! I'll see you tomorrow" Answers Mizuki while Katara turns around to exit the igloo.

"Goodnight Mizuki" She says before leaving.

"Goodnight Katara" Grins Mizuki before sighing relieved. Finally, a safe place to stay. But most importantly, she wasn't alone anymore.

To be continued

Word count: 952