Chapter 74 - other airbenders?

- Third POV -

Team Avatar is sitting around a camp fire with several other travelers, listening to a man telling a story of 'airbenders'.

"So, travelers. The next time you think you hear a strange, large bird talking, take a closer look. It might not be a giant parrot, but a flying man. A member of a secret group of air walkers, who laugh at gravity, and laugh at those bound to the earth by it!" Finishes the story teller. The man begins to collect coins from the travelers who had listened to his story.

"Aren't airbender stories the greatest?" Beams Aang while Mizuki nods in agreement.

"Was it realistic? Is that how it was back then?" Asks Katara curiously.

"I laugh at gravity all the time" Chuckles Aang while Mizuki stands up and runs after the storyteller, who is standing in front of an old man.

"Hey! Thanks for the story" Beams Mizuki

"Tell it to the cap girl" Replies the storyteller as he holds out his cap. Mizuki searches in her pockets for money, but doesn't find anything. However, Momo finds a random coin on the ground and gives it to Mizuki.

"Thanks Momo" Giggles Mizuki as she gives the storyteller the coin.

"It means a lot to hear airbender stories. It must have been a hundred years ago your great grandpa met them" Says Aang.

"What are you prattling about, child? Great Grandpappy saw the air walkers last week" Answers the man confused while pointing at an old man. Mizuki and Aang's eyes widen out of shock, does that mean there are other airbenders out there?

❀❀❀

Team Avatar is on Appa's back, soaring through the sky.

"Hey, we're almost at the Northern Air Temple. This is where they had the championships for Sky Bison polo" States Aang.

"I've heard about the championships, but I never got to see one" Mentions Mizuki as she recalls a memory.

"Do you think we'll really find airbenders?" Asks Katara.

"I'm not sure" Mumbles Mizuki. My grandparents only survived because they were lucky. I don't think anyone could've survived...

"You want me to be like you, or totally honest?" Retorts Sokka.

"Are you saying I'm a liar?" Katara crosses her arms angrily.

"I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing, basically" Shrugs Sokka.

"Hey, guys, look at this!" Aang points at a mountain with a large structure on top. It looks very similar to the Southern Air Temple, with obvious spires reminiscent of a temple's architecture. Around the building there are multiple people flying in plane-shaped contraptions.

"They really are airbenders!" Exclaims Katara amazed. However, Mizuki and Aang notice that something's off about them.

"No, they're not" States Aang.

"What do you mean 'they're not'? Those guys are flying!" Sokka points at the people flying around the temple.

"Gliding maybe, but not flying. You can tell by the way they move, they're not airbending. Those people have no spirit" Replies Aang bitterly. Suddenly, a boy sitting in an oddly shaped chair flies right above them, nearly hitting them, and laughing as he does so.

"I don't know, Aang. That kid seemed pretty spirited" Points out Katara while indicating the boy who's flying next to them. The boy begins to fly away, shooting Aang one more look back as he does so while grinning. Aang grins devilishly, and opens up his glider to follow the boy while Mizuki takes over the reins. She lands Appa on the temple's courtyard and gets off. Aang's still flying with the boy, and seems to be having fun. Several children are on the ground, cheering on their friend.

"Go Teo! Show that bald kid how it's done!" Shouts one of the kids. Katara and Sokka get off Appa's back and watch them.

"You got this Aang!" Shouts Mizuki amused. Ha, there's no way that kid's going to win. Teo and Aang do two loops as they fly around the air temple. After doing so, the two boys do a spiral downwards.

"Hey there, you're pretty good!" Compliments Teo.

"Yeah, I know. But I can do more than fancy gliding" Smirks Aang as he begins to fly closer to the temple, under a bridge. Aang jumps off his glider, allowing it to fly forward on its own. He begins running along a wall, switching to an air scooter halfway, before jumping off onto his glider again.

"Wow, I don't think I can do that. But here's a good one" Chuckles Teo as he turns on a small canister that is positioned under his glider. White smoke begins to stream from the strange contraption, and Teo flies around in the sky. Teo creates an image of Aang's face with the smoke as the crowd below cheers.

"What do you think?" Asks Teo excitedly.

"It's great" Replies Aang annoyed. Aang lands beside Mizuki, Katara, and Sokka. Teo lands soon after and pulls on the brakes. Other children take the glider off of the top of his wheel chair. Teo rolls up to Aang

"Hey, you're a real airbender. You must be the Avatar! That's amazing! I-I've heard stories about you!" Gushes Teo happily while Aang rubs his head embarrassed.

"Thanks" Grins Aang.

"Wow! This glider chair is incredible!" Exclaims Sokka as he examines Teo's wheelchair.

"You think this is good, wait until you see the other stuff my dad designed" Brags Teo proudly as he rolls towards the inside of the building. Team Avatar follows him. They enter a room filled with pipes and machinery. Aang and Mizuki look around worriedly. Beneath the pipes, an original mural can be seen, although it has been destroyed by the pipes, which are sticking into the walls.

"Wow!" Gushes Sokka as he runs up to the machines.

"Yeah, my dad is the mastermind behind this whole place. Everything's powered by hot air. It even pumps hot air currents outside to give us a lift while we're gliding" Explains Teo.

"This place is unbelievable" Mutters Aang.

"Yeah, it's great, isn't it?" Beams Teo.

"No, just unbelievable" Replies Aang upset as he walks away. Mizuki quickly follows him.

"Aang used to come here a long time ago. I think he's a little shocked it's so...different" States Katara in an attempt to comfort Teo.

"So better!" Says Sokka amazed.

"This is supposed to be the history of our people" Aang sighs upset while Mizuki looks at him with empathy and places her hand on his shoulder.

"I know...but I'm sure some parts of the temple are still the same" Comforts Mizuki as she begins to walk towards a fountain with an air bison statue on it. However, the water is dirty green. The fountain in the Western Air Temple was always so beautiful, what happened? The sky bison statue suddenly has black smoke coming out of it's mouth.

"Ugh" Grunts Mizuki annoyed as she walks away and kicks a stone that was laying on the ground.

To be continued

Word count: 1.118