Chapter 89 - blizzard

- Third POV -

"I can't believe I lost him" Mutters Katara sorrowful.

"You did everything you could, and now we need to do everything we can to get him back" Reassures Sokka while putting his hand on his sister's shoulder.

"Zuko can't have gotten far. We'll find him, if not; Mizuki will" States Sokka.

"Okay" Sighs Katara relieved as she climbs onto Appa's back.

"Yip, yip" Upon hearing this, Appa takes off, and heads towards the tundra where a blizzard is raging. After flying for a while, the teenagers notice a few strange ice poles. They're sticking out above the snow and seem to be following a path where someone has clearly been trudging along.

"Mizuki must've created those ice poles as a trail for us to follow!" Points out Katara while somewhere, not to far away, Zuko is plodding through the snow, his face partially covered to protect him from the cold, Aang slung across his back. Suddenly, Aang's tattoos start glowing. Aang enters the Spirit World, he opens his eyes, only to find himself sitting in a meditating position on a small wooden platform. He looks around at his surroundings, which are no longer icy tundra, but a mystical swamp dotted with trees. Suddenly, Aang hears a creature muttering the sound 'ohm'. Is he meditating? Aang approaches the monkey-like creature.

"Hello? I'm sorry to disturb you. I just really need to find the Moon and the Ocean Spirits" Says Aang.

"Go. Away" Replies the baboon spirit dryly as he opens one eye.

"You're still here?" Sighs the spirit.

"Yes, I need-" Aang gets cut of by the creature.

"Ohm!" The baboon spirit shuts his eyes tightly, trying to distract himself.

"Ohm! Perhaps that thing will help you. Chase it" Suggests the spirit while pointing at a firefly. Aang runs after it while the mystical monkey keeps his eyes shut for a second more before opening one to confirm Aang's departure.

"Finally" Sighs the spirit relieved. Aang's chasing the insect throughout the swamp and up a tree. He leaps up and manages to grasp hold of it and is delighted in doing so. Aang lands on a tree branch which instantly shrivels up and disappears entirely, causing him to fall. As Aang lies on his back in the water, the firefly escapes his grip. The insect flies away while Aang tries to grab it.

"Come back!" Exclaims Aang while standing up. Upset, he looks down at the water. Suddenly, Avatar Roku appears in front of Aang in the reflection of the water.

"Hello, Aang" Greets Roku.

"Roku!" Beams Aang surprised.

❀❀❀

Zuko continues his trek through the icy tundra. Suddenly, he steps on ice that begins cracking beneath his feet. The ice begins to splinter and cave in. Zuko begins to run, but is thrown several feet away and lands roughly in the snow, losing his grip on Aang and kicking up a cloud of snow. The cloud dissipates, showing Zuko and Aang lying in the snow. Zuko gets up and notices a cave in the distance.

"Shelter" Mumbles Zuko as he drags Aang into the cave and ties him up. Mizuki notices two people entering a cave in the distance. This can't be a coincidence. She begins to run towards the cave.

❀❀❀

"Roku, the Water Tribe's under attack. I need to find the Ocean and the Moon Spirits" States Aang worriedly.

"The Ocean and the Moon are ancient spirits. They crossed over the Spirit World to the mortal world very near the beginning. There is only one spirit I know of who is old enough to remember" Informs Roku.

"Who?" Asks Aang curiously.

"The spirit's name is Koh, but he is very dangerous. They call him the Face Stealer. When you speak with him, you must be very careful to show no emotion at all. Not the slightest expression, or he will steal your face" Upon hearing this, Aang's curious expression changes into a horrified one.

❀❀❀

Zuko's keeping himself warm with breath of fire while Aang, now tied up, remains in the Spirit World. Mizuki is standing outside of the cave, doubting wether she should enter without a plan.

"I finally have you, but I can't get you home because of this blizzard" Scoffs Zuko as he stands up and looks outside the cave. Mizuki quickly steps away from the entrance, and hides against the cave's wall. He almost saw me...

"There's always something. Not that you would understand. You're like my sister. Everything always came easy to her. She's a firebending prodigy, and everyone adores her. My father says she was born lucky. He says I was lucky to be born. I don't need luck, though. I don't want it. I've always had to struggle and fight and that's made me strong. It's made me who I am" States Zuko bitterly as he looks at Aang. Upon hearing this, Mizuki can't help but to feel bad for Zuko. Nobody deserves to be treated like that by their own father. Mizuki takes a step closer to the entrance, and sees Zuko standing while leaning against the cave's wall. She quickly enters and freezes Zuko's body, except for his head. Before Zuko can melt the ice, Mizuki creates a glove made out of ice around her hand and punches Zuko's face with it.

"Well, that worked surpringly well. He's unconscious" Mumbles Mizuki as she looks at Zuko, who's eyes are closed. Mizuki notices multiple burn marks on Zuko's face. How did that happen? It must've hurt...Mizuki bends a small portion of water and begins to heal Zuko's face.

"I can't believe I'm healing my enemy" Scoffs Mizuki annoyed. Why am I doing this? I shouldn't feel bad for the guy who tried to get rid of everyone I loved. As soon as Mizuki's done healing Zuko's face, she walks over to Aang, and unties him.

❀❀❀

Meanwhile, back at the invasion, the Fire Nation has breached part of the wall. On the lead ship, Zhao and Iroh are speaking.

"I don't need to remind you we have a time limit. If we don't defeat the Water Tribe before the full moon rises, they will be undefeatable" Informs Iroh.

"I assure you I have everything under control. I intend to remove the moon as a factor" Smirks Zhao.

"Remove the moon? How?" Exclaims Iroh shocked while Hahn appears behind them and points his spear at Zhao.

"Admiral Choi! Prepare to meet your fate!" Shouts Hahn as he charges at Zhao, who casually tosses him overboard as he is still screaming. A loud splash is heard, while Iroh shakes his head in disappointment.

"As I was saying, years ago I stumble upon a great and powerful secret: the identity of the Moon Spirit's mortal form" Zhao continues talking as if nothing happened.

"What?" Says Iroh confused.

"I was a young lieutenant serving under General Shu in the Earth Kingdom. I discovered a hidden library. Underground, in fact. I tore through scroll after scroll. One of them contained a detailed illustration, and the words "moon" and "ocean". I knew then that these spirits could be found and killed. And that it was my destiny to do so" Explains Zhao.

"Zhao, the spirits are not to be trifled with!" Scolds Iroh angrily.

"Yes, yes. I know you fear the spirits, Iroh. I've heard rumors about your journey into the Spirit World. But the Ocean and Moon gave up their immortality to become a part of our world. And now they will face the consequences" States Zhao smugly.

To be continued

Word count: 1.226