Chapter 60 - necklace

- Third POV -

Aang, Mizuki, Katara and Sokka are sitting around a bundle of sticks with a blue tent behind them.

"Look!" Katara points at a large fish. The animal leaps into the air and lands with a splash into the water.

"He's taunting us! You are so going to be dinner!" Exclaims Sokka. Mizuki chuckles at Sokka's words. Sokka grabs his fishing pole from his tent and attempts to cast the pole into the water, but fails. Sokka examines the fishing pole confused.

"Hey, where's the fishing line?" Says Sokka as he raises an eyebrow.

"I used it to make a necklace for Mimi" Replies Katara as she holds up an intricately woven necklace decorated with a red flower. Sokka walks over to Katara and takes a look at the necklace.

"Mimi?" Asks Aang confused. Since when did Katara call Mizuki that?

"It's my nickname" Explains Mizuki.

"Aw, it's all tangled!" Whines Sokka while Katara sighs.

"Not tangled, woven" She says.

"Can I call you Mimi too?" Beams Aang excited while Mizuki nods.

"Katara, is this because I stole your food yesterday? Look, I told you I'm sorry-" Sokka gets cut off by Katara.

"I didn't 'destroy' your fishing pole because you were being a jerk. I wanted to make Mizuki a necklace since she told me that she really wanted one" States Katara as she walks over to Mizuki and hands her the necklace over.

{flashback}

Mizuki and Katara are sitting around a small campfire at nighttime.

"This is the only thing I have left from my mother" Sighs Katara upset as she touches her necklace.

"It's beautiful" Says Mizuki as she looks at the necklace in awe.

"It is" Replies Katara with a smile on her face.

"You know, my mom used to have a similar necklace. She was also from the Water Tribe" Mentions Mizuki.

"Really? Was she from the Northen Water Tribe? I don't think I've seen any woman that looks like you in my tribe"

"Yeah, but she left" Answers Mizuki sorrowful as she recalls a few memories.

"Why?" Asks Katara.

"What can I say? Sometimes, life isn't fair" Mizuki looks down at the campfire. Mom left because they treated her as less of a person, just because she was a woman. Katara notices how Mizuki dodges the question, and changes the subject.

"So, what did your mother's necklace look like?" Asks Katara.

"It was very pretty. It had a moon carved on it. When I was younger, I always wanted to have one of my own. And if I'm being honest, I still do" Says Mizuki as a small smile grows onto her face.

"You miss her, don't you?" Asks Katara as she puts her hand on Mizuki's shoulder in an attempt to comfort her.

"I do" Admits Mizuki as she looks at Katara, her eyes filled with sadness.

"It's okay to feel sad sometimes, you know?" Reassures Katara as she pulls Mizuki into a hug.

"Thanks Katara" Sighs Mizuki relieved.

"You're welcome" Replies Katara calmly while letting go of Mizuki.

"You can call me Mimi from now on, okay?" Beams Mizuki.