Chapter 87 - a self-absorbed weasel

- Third POV -

Zuko prepares a boat, winding up some rope.

"If you're fishing for an octopus my nephew, you need a tightly woven net, or he will squeeze through the tiniest hole and escape" Iforms Iroh.

"I don't need your wisdom right now, uncle" Sighs Zuko.

"I'm sorry. I just nag you, because...well, ever since I lost my son-" Iroh gets cut off by Zuko.

"Uncle, you don't have to say it" Says Zuko as he looks at his uncle with empathy.

"I think of you as my own" Finishes Iroh.

"I know, uncle. We'll meet again" States Zuko while Iroh hugs him.

"After I have the Avatar" Zuko turns around and gets into the small boat.

"Remember your breath of fire. It could save your life out there" Mentions Iroh.

"I will" Replies Zuko while he lowers the boat into the water.

"And put your hood up. Keep your ears warm!" Exclaims Iroh.

"I'll be fine!" Sighs Zuko annoyed.

❀❀❀

Inside of the warriors' base Hahn and Sokka are sharpening their axes against grindstones.

"Let me tell you Sokka, I've courted a lot of girls, but Yue is the finest and she comes with the most perks" Says Hahn smugly.

"Perks? What does that mean?" Replies Sokka angrily.

"I mean, Yue's nice and everything, but the points I'll gain with the chief aren't bad either" Smirks Hahn.

"Princess Yue is wasted on a self-absorbed weasel like you!" Retorts Sokka annoyed.

"Whoa, hang on. What do you care? You're just a simple rube from the Southern Tribe. What would you know of the political complexities of our life? No offense" Mocks Hahn while Mizuki enters the room. Upon hearing this, she begins to walk towards the duo furiously while pushing multiple people out of her way.

"Excuse me, I thought I had given you the task to sharpen the axes. What are you doing?" Scolds Mizuki while glaring at Hahn, who had stopped sharpening his axe a while ago.

"Don't worry about it, princess~ I was just putting this guy in his place" Smirks Hahn as he grabs her hand and kisses it. Mizuki quickly takes a step back and puts her hands in her pockets, disgusted. Meanwhile, Sokka puts his axe down on the ground and glares at Hahn. Does this jerk have a deathwish?

"I think you should be the one who needs to get put in their place" Retorts Mizuki.

"You've just been here for a few days, what makes you think you have the right to order me around, princess?" Says Hahn slightly annoyed.

"You should treat the royal family with respect, don't you know that? It's part of the political complexities here" Scoffs Mizuki while Hahn begins to smirk.

"What are you going to do about it? You're just a girl...a very pretty one" Says Hahn as he begins walking towards Mizuki and reaches out to her. However, before he can do anything Sokka grabs him by his collar and pulls him back.

"Enough. Don't you dare touch her you scumbag" Threathens Sokka while standing in front of Mizuki, creating a barrier between the two.

"Who do you think you are? Not her betrothed, that's for sure. The chief wouldn't let any of his family members marry a peasant like you" Mocks Hahn while Sokka glares at him. Don't tell me that this is the guy Yue had to marry. He's a huge prick.

"You're just a jerk without a soul, no offense!" Shouts Sokka furiously as he tackles Hahn. The two begin rolling around on the floor. Sokka begins to pull Hahn's ponytail. However, the two are suddenly separated by Arnook.

"That's enough! Sokka, you're off the mission!" Scolds Arnook. Sokka, his hair loose and hanging in locks, appears stunned before crossing his arms in anger.

"Uncle, please don't-" Mizuki gets cut off by Hahn.

"All right, fall in men! Everybody listen to what I say and we'll take out this Admiral Chō in no time!" Exclaims Hahn.

"It's Admiral Zhao!" Retorts Sokka angrily.

❀❀❀

Zuko's rowing in a canoe, navigating his way through the path of ice spikes. A Water Tribe guard who's on patrol, pauses for a second and looks out over the horizon just as Zuko's canoe disappears behind an ice spike. The guard continues walking. Zuko continues to paddle towards the wall, and as soon as he reaches the shore, he pulls his canoe up onto the ice. Zuko turns around to see a group of turtle seals resting by a hole in the ice. One seal plunges head first into the icy water. Zuko begins to approach the hole.

"Where are they going? They're coming up for air somewhere" Mumbles Zuko as he looks at the hole, his face being reflected in the water. Zuko pulls down the mask covering his mouth and nose and inhales deeply before jumping into the water.

❀❀❀

"The legends say the moon was the first waterbender. Our ancestors saw how it pushed and pulled the tides and learned how to do it themselves" States Yue.

"I've always noticed my waterbending is stronger at night" Mentions Katara.

"Our strength comes from the spirit of the moon. Our life comes from the spirit of the ocean. They work together to keep balance" Informs Yue.

"The spirits! Maybe I can find them and get their help" Beams Aang while startling Momo.

"How can you do that?" Asks Yue confused.

"The Avatar is the bridge between our world and the Spirit World! Aang can talk to them!" Explains Katara.

"Maybe they'll give you the wisdom to win this battle!" Gasps Yue excitedly.

"Or maybe they'll unleash a crazy amazing spirit attack on the Fire Nation!" Exclaims Aang while the two girls give him an odd look.

"Or wisdom. That's good, too" Says Aang sheepisly.

"The only problem is, last time you got to the Spirit World by accident. How are you going to get there this time?" Points out Katara.

"I have an idea. Follow me" States Yue.

To be continued

Word count: 966