Chapter 23 - my cabbages!

- Third POV -

"The Earth Kingdom city of Omashu! I used to always come here to visit my friend Bumi" Beams Aang as he points at a beautiful city.

"Wow. We don't have buildings like this in the South Pole!" Says Katara impressed.

"They have buildings here that don't melt!" Exclaims Sokka.

"It's beautiful" Mutters Mizuki as she stares at the city.

"Well let's go slow pokes. The real fun's inside the city!" Says Aang excitedly as he leaps off the top of the hill with his airbending.

"Wait, Aang! It could be dangerous if people find out you're the Avatar!" Shouts Katara while waving her arms at Aang.

"Katara's right Aang" States Mizuki. Aang starts walking towards the trio.

"You need a disguise" Says Sokka somewhat seriously.

"So what am I supposed to do? Grow a mustache?" Says Aang in a slightly sarcastic tone. Mizuki turns around and looks at Appa for a few seconds.

"That's exactly what you're going to do" She says.

❀❀❀

Aang's wiggling his nose under which is now a patch of Appa's fur, serving as a mustache. Aang's also wearing a tall wig made of the same material.

"Ugh, this is so itchy. How do you live in this stuff?" Complains Aang as he looks at Appa. Appa slowly turns his head towards Aang and snorts at him as if he was scoffing. Sokka's sitting on a rock with Katara and Mizuki standing beside him.

"Great! Now you look just like my grandfather" Says Sokka while Mizuki chuckles at Aang's disguise.

"Technically, Aang is 112 years old" States Katara. Aang nimbly kicks up his staff and spins it rapidly aroud before placing it upright on the ground to be used as a walking stick. He hunches his back and leans heavily on his staff like an old person.

"Now let's get to skippin, young whipper-snappers. The big city awaits!" Says Aang in an old man's voice. Katara and Sokka look questioningly at each other while Mizuki quickly follows Aang. The group of teenagers starts walking down the long path to Omashu.

"You guys are going to love Omashu! The people here are the friendliest in the world" Exclaims Aang as he looks over his shoulder to Sokka and Katara. Mizuki's walking next to Aang but suddenly her eyes widen in surprise as she hears the harsh voice of the sentry. The group stops walking.

"Rotten cabbages?! What kind of slum do you think this is?!" Shouts an gate guard angrily. The guard squishes the cabbage he is holding and knocks another two cabbages out of the merchant's hand. He proceeds to earthbend a rock under the cart, catapulting it high in the air, making it tumble down the chasm with all the cabbages.

"No! My cabbages!" Cries the cabbage merchant out as he leans over the rim of the path. He dramatically waves his arms in despair. Aang, Mizuki, Katara and Sokka look over the rim, their mouths open in shock as a loud crash is heard.

"Just keep smiling!" Says Aang as he somewhat nervously smiles. While Aang and Mizuki walk over to the guards, Katara and Sokka give each other an uneasy look. Katara flashes her teeth in an awkard way and chuckles uncomfortably. While Sokka merely raises a doubtful eyebrow. As Aang approaches the sentries at the gate the gate guard steps to the front and raises a boulder out of the ground using his earthbending. The boulder levitates above Aang's head.

"State your bussiness!" Shouts the gate guard aggressively while he glares at Aang. Aang quickly runs from underneath the boulder and towards the guard. He halts right in front of the surprised man.

"My bussiness is my bussiness, young man. And none of yours!" Shouts Aang in an old man voice, while poking the chest of the sentry. The boulder crashes down down due to the guards lack of concentration. Sokka and Katara jump slightly from the impact.

"I've got half a mind to bend you over my knee and paddle your backside!" Continues Aang, the guard is taken aback by the treateningly pointing finger just centimeters away from his face. Sokka's eyes and mouth open wide in shock at Aang's audacity to talk to the sentry like that, and Katara shakes her head with eyes wide open in shock. Mizuki on the other hand is completely calm. Mizuki sighs and grabs Aang by his shoulders as she pulls him away from the sentry.

"I apologize for my grandfather sir, he's a bit tired from traveling" Says Mizuki as she smiles innocently at the sentry.

"Alright, just tell me who you are" Answers the guard in a calmer tone.

"Name's Bonzu Pippinpaddleopsicopolis, the third. And these are my grandkids" Replies Aang. Sokka raises an eyebrow questioningly while Katara walks up to the guard, smiling friendly.

"Hi, June pippinpaddleopsicopolis. Nice to meet you" Says Katara as she waves at the sentry. The gate guard rubbs his beard pensively, while eyeing the teenagers standing in front of him. Suddenly he points at Katara and Mizuki.

"You two seem like responsible young ladies. See that your grandfather stays out of trouble. Enjoy Omashu!" He says as he steps aside and motions at the city's entrance.

"We will" Answers Katara lightheartedly.

"Have a nice day" Beams Mizuki as she waves at the gate guard. The group of teenagers start walking towards the gate but as soon as Sokka passes the guard with an uneasy look the guard holds him back. Sokka turns around with a shocked expression on his face.

"Wait a minute! You're a strong young boy! Show some respect for the elderly and carry your grandfather's bag!" Says the guard sternly. Sokka's expression changes from fright to disbelief and annoyance while Aang removes his shoulder bag.

"Good idea!" Beams Aang as he throws his bag at Sokka. Sokka shoots an annoyed glare over his shoulder. The group stands before a big earth Kingdom emblem on the wall the wall in front of them. The giant earthen wall splits open in the middle on the emblem, opening up to let any passangers through. The gaurd opens up the gate walls. As the first walls slides open, a second and third are bent aside as well. Katara, Mizuki and Sokka watch in awe at the spectacle while Aang is smiling behind them. They walk through as the walls already start to move again to close right behind them. Just before the gates closes behind Aang, Momo's ears pop out of his wig. The guard that granted them entrance looks shocked at Aang's wig. As the teenagers have entered the city they look up to see an intricate system of chutes. The aqueduct like structures are built over and beside the houses with typical green roofs.

To be continued

Word count: 1138