Chapter 33 - Hei Bai

- Third POV -

"This young person is the Avatar! And the young lady is the dualbender!" Exclaims the old man.

"So, the rumors of your return are true! It is the greatest honor of a lifetime to be in your presence" Beams a man who seems to be the leader of the village. He glances at Mizuki and gasps.

"And you must be the dualbender! I've heard a few rumors about you, but I wasn't too sure if they were true. But here you are! And oh my, you have some beautiful grey eyes" Continues the man.

"Thankyou" Responds Mizuki shyly, not being used to compliments.

"Nice to meet you too! So..is there anything I can help you with?" Answers Aang

"I'm not sure..." Replies the leader of the village.

"Our village is in crisis, he's our only hope! For the last few days at sunset, a spirit monster comes and attacks our village. He is Hei Bai, the black and white spirit" Says the old man.

"Why is it attacking you?" Questions Sokka.

"We do not know, but each of the last three nights, he has abducted one of our own. We are especially fearful because the winter solstice draws near" Answers the leader of the village.

"What happens then?" Asks Katara curiously.

"As the solstice approaches, the natural world and the Spirit world grow closer and closer until the line between them is blurred completely" Explains the old man.

"Hei Bai is already causing devastation and destruction. Once the solstice is here, there's no telling what will happen" Says the leader of the village in a concerned tone.

"So, what do you want me to do exactly?" Asks Aang, who's not sure how to resolve this problem.

"Who better to resolve a crisis between our world and the Spirit world than the Avatar himself? You are the great bridge between man and spirits" Exclaims the old man.

"Right...that's me" Mumbles Aang.

"Hey great bridge guy, could I talk to you over here for a second?" Says Katara as she leads Aang towards a window.

"Aang, you seem a little unsure about all of this" States Katara.

"Yeah, that might be because I don't know anything at all about the Spirit world. It's not like there's someone to teach me this stuff" Confesses Aang.

"So...can you help these people?" Asks Katara.

"I have to try, don't I? Maybe whatever I have to do will just...come to me" Replies Aang unsure.

"I think you can do it" Comforts Katara with a smile on her face.

"Yeah. We're all going to get eaten by a spirit monster" Says Sokka. Mizuki rolls her eyes at Sokka.

"Not all spirits are evil Sokka" Argues Mizuki.

"Whatever" Shrugs Sokka.

❀❀❀

"Who's there? A meadow vole! I should have known" Says Iroh as he sees a rat-like animal. He takes the creature into the palm of his hand.

"You startled me, little one. It seems I dozed off and missed my nephew's deadline, but it was a very sweet nap" Sighs Iroh. The meadow vole leaps up and down, this is followed by shaking and the ground moving towards Iroh. Suddenly, the rack at the bottom of the spring jumps up, capturing Iroh. Three Earth Kingdom soldiers surround him.

"He's a Fire Nation soldier" Shouts a soldier as he picks up Iroh's clothes.

"He's no ordinary soldier. This is the Fire Lord's brother, the Dragon of the West. The once-great General Iroh, but now, he's our prisoner" Says another soldier who seems to be the leader. Iroh gives the captain a stern look.