Chapter 79 - mountains

- Third POV -

"Sozin fooled them using their own everyday objects as bait, luring them far enough for our soldiers to close in" Continues Zhao proudly. "This old stratagem still works well enough to catch the last two airbenders alive" He mocks. Between two vases, Zhao notices a small painting and picks it up.

"Does this look familiar to you Mizuki?" Zhao holds up a small framed painting of Mizuki and her parents. Upon seeing this, Mizuki starts to tear up. I was right, some of these items belonged to my family...Aang glares at Zhao, who simply smiles evilly.

"Your curiosity and lack of knowledge of our military history proved your downfall" Exclaims Zhao.

"Lack of knowledge, I bet you don't know anything about airnomads or what any of these objects are" Scoffs Aang. "My turn to give you a quick history lesson" He says confidently before creating a huge tornado.

"Hold him, idiots!" Shouts Zhao furiously while the Fire Nation soldiers try to approach Aang and Mizuki, but get pushed back due the impact of Aang's airbending. Aang manages to break the net's ropes which allows him and Mizuki to walk freely. However, their arms are still tied behind their backs. Zhao sends a fire blast towards Aang, who dodges it with ease. After doing so he approaches Mizuki.

"Find a way to cover your ears" Whispers Aang before running towards a horn. Mizuki rushes towards a soldier, sends an air kick towards him, which knocks him out. After doing so she uses the pointy helmet of the soldier to cut the ropes which tied her hands behind her back.

"Ever heard one of these horns when an airbender plays it?" Asks Aang while looking at Mizuki, who gives him a thumbs up before covering her ears. Aang gasps for air and sends a huge gust of wind through instrument with the use of airbending. Sending multiple soldiers flying back. Mizuki takes the chance and runs towards Aang, who's still playing the instrument. She quickly unties Aang's ropes. Aang stops playing the horn and turns around to face Mizuki.

"Thanks" He grins.

"Enough! I'll bring your charred remains to the Fire Lord!" Yells Zhao furiously as he approaches the teenagers.

"I don't think so" States Mizuki before raising her hand. Zhao gasps in shock as he discovers that he can't move his body anymore. Mizuki stares straight into Zhao's eyes, scaring the man. What's going on?! This feeling...is this pure fear?

"Hey Zhao! Ever seen one of these?" Smiles Aang evilly while standing on top of an object. Mizuki lowers her hand, and Zhao regains control over his body. He gulps anxiously, these two are something else...

"Curious to find out what it can do?" Zhao looks up at Aang, secretly regretting his decision of trying to capture the Avatar and dualbender without an army or two. Aang uses his airbending to push the peanut-like object, which starts spinning at rapid speed, knocking down multiple Fire Nation soldiers.

"Woahh, what's that?" Gasps Mizuki in awe.

"It's called Dorje. It was used in rituals but my friends and I found out that if you spun them too hard in a room, this would happen" Explains Aang excitedly while running around, trying to avoid getting knocked out by the Dorje. Aang passes by his staff and picks it up.

"Let's get out of here Mimi" Mizuki nods and follows Aang, who's running towards the exit of the cave.

"Don't worry Zhao, it'll stop by itself" Mocks Aang, causing Mizuki to laugh. As soon as they're outside, Aang opens his glider. Mizuki gets on the back of the glider and Aang takes flight. The two are quiet the whole flight. As soon as they land, Aang decides to break the silence.

"Mizuki..." Says Aang as he makes eye contact with his friend.

"What is it?" Asks Mizuki slightly worried. Aang looks upset.

"I think we really are the last airbenders" He admits, much to his dismay. Mizuki looks away for a second, not knowing what to say.

"Maybe we are" She sighs. "But even so, we have each other. Remember the day we first met? I still stand by that promise we made. I swear on Tui and La" Says Mizuki in an attempt to comfort Aang as she raises one hand and puts the other one her heart.

"Thanks" Whispers Aang as he embraces Mizuki tightly. Mizuki slowly rubs Aang's back.

"I'm proud of you Aang. Losing people you love is a heavy burden to carry, and so is being the Avatar. I don't know how you do it" Upon hearing these words, Aang starts to tear up.

"For how long have you bottled up these emotions?" Asks Mizuki as she lets go of Aang and wipes his tears away.

"I just, I feel like...a failure" Stutters Aang as tears continue to fall. Mizuki sits down on a rock and gestures Aang to sit next to her.

"I'm all ears" Reassures Mizuki as she pats Aang's shoulder.

"I wasn't there when my people needed me most. I just ran away like a coward. And now, they're all gone. Because of me" Cries out Aang.

"You're still blaming yourself for that?" Says Mizuki slightly upset.

"But it's true! I should've been the one to die instead. They didn't deserve to-" Mizuki cuts off Aang.

"Listen Aang, you do not deserve to die. Neither did they. But life simply isn't fair. You don't get to decide who comes and goes. And for the guilt you're experiencing. I know what it's like, and it sucks. You feel like you could've done something to prevent losing the people you care about. Right?" States Mizuki.

"Yeah, I guess so. Part of me wants to move on. But the other half of me keeps on blaming me for running away" Replies Aang sorrowful.

"Honestly, I'm suprised you're still doing fine. It amazes me how you're so strong-minded, you're able to enjoy life even though you're dealing with a lot of burdens. When I was dealing with my grief, I felt like I was going insane" Points out Mizuki.

"You think I'm strong-minded?" Asks Aang unsure.

"I do" Smiles Mizuki.

"I never really thought about it that way" Admits Aang as he looks at the sky and sees the sun rising.

"Looks like we won't be getting any sleep today" Yawns Mizuki while standing up.

"Katara and Sokka must be worried" Says Aang as he opens his glider. "Are you ready to go?" He asks while offering Mizuki his hand.

"I am" Nods Mizuki.

❀❀❀

Meanwhile, Katara and Sokka are awake, searching for their friends.

"Careful Katara! If Aang and Mizuki have disappeard, that could mean we're surrounded by Fire Nation forces! Well-hidden Fire Nation soldiers, waiting to ambush us when our backs are turned and-" Sokka gets cut off by Katara.

"I found them!" Shouts Katara while pointing at Mizuki and Aang, who are standing on a small hill, looking down at the mountains.

"Aang? Mizuki?" Katara and sokka approach the duo.

"See, they're okay. You worry too much" Shrugs Sokka, earning a glare from Katara.

"What are you guys doing out here? We were looking for you two" Says Katara confused. Mizuki and Aang turn around to face the Water Tribe siblings, trying to hide their sorrow.

"Sorry for making you two worry" Replies Mizuki.

"Oh...I think I know" Mutters Katara. "This place reminds you guys of home, right? All these mountains, airbenders would have loved to stay here. They would have been attracted to this place" Points out Katara.

"Yeah, a few of them probably were" Replies Aang upset.

To be continued

Word count: 1.245