Chapter 72 - firebending teacher?

- Third POV -

"Appa! Down here!" Shouts Aang as he notices Appa. Appa lands between the teenagers and the guards, with his backside facing the guards. Appa airbends a gale force of wind which results in the guards getting blown out of sight. As the guards run back into the alley, Appa has already taken off. The masked man bites the top off a bomb to light it. He throws it at the fireworks supplies and it blows up, creating a beautiful display of fireworks. They all take off their masks.

"Woah" Gasps Mizuki as she looks at the fireworks. It's beautiful!

"Nice touch setting off the fireworks" Beams Aang.

"You really know your explosives" Compliments Sokka in an impressed tone.

"I'm familiar" Replies the man.

"You're a Fire Nation Soldier" States Mizuki as she looks at the man.

"Was. My name's Chey" Informs the man as Appa lands on the ground. They all get off and begin preparing their camp to sleep.

"I serve a man. More than a man really, he's a myth, but he's real, a living legend, Jeong Jeong the Deserter. He was a Fire Nation general, or wait, was he an admiral?" Begins Chey.

"He was very highly ranked, we get it" Scoffs Sokka unamused.

"Yeah! Way up there! But he couldn't take the madness any more. He's the first person ever to leave the army- and live" Explains Chey.

"I'm the second, but you don't get to be a legend for that. That's okay though. Jeong Jeong's a firebending genius. Some say he's mad, but he's not! He's enlightened" Continues Chey.

"You mean there's a firebender out here who's not with the Fire Lord? We've gotta go see him! He can train me!" Beams Aang excitedly.

"We're not gonna go find some crazy firebender!" Exclaims Sokka.

"He's not crazy! He's a genius! And he's the perfect person to train the Avatar! That's why I followed you into the festival" Argues Chey annoyed.

"Were our disguises that obvious?" Mutters Mizuki confused.

"Look, thanks for the help, but we're leaving for the North Pole in the morning" Sighs Sokka.

"Sokka, this could be my only chance to meet a firebending master who would actually be willing to teach me" Protests Aang.

"It can't hurt just to talk to him" Says Katara.

"That's what you said about going to the festival! Mimi almost got burned because of that! Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?" Snaps Sokka angrily.

"Hey, it's okay" Reassures Mizuki as she puts her hand on Sokka's shoulder in an attempt to comfort him. Suddenly, the teenages are surrounded by men wearing straw hats, light armor, wearing tribal make up, and wielding spears.

"Don't move!" Threathens a man as the men begin to escort team Avatar and Chey to their settlement.

"Jeong Jeong told you not to look for Avatar!" Scolds one of the men.

"Hold on, you know these guys?" Asks Sokka confused.

"Oh yeh! Lin Yee's an old buddy! Right, Lin Yee?" Chuckles Chey.

"Shut up! Keep moving" Scoffs Lin Yee annoyed.

"Go on. He sees you only" Says Lin Yee as they arrive at a small cottage with leaves and logs.

"Oh that's okay, we can chat later" Says Chey.

"Is that where Jeong Jeong is? I need to talk to him right away" Exclaims Aang as he begins to walk, however, he's stopped by Lin Yee's spear.

"No! You wait there"

"Go now!" Exclaims Lin Yee as he pushes Chey forwards.

"Don't worry! Everything'll be fine. He's a great man, great man!" Beams Chey before entering the cottage.

❀❀❀

Back in the Fire Days festival there are some guards being interrogated by Admiral Zhao who is accompanied by a few guards himself.

"So, the Avatar was here and you let him slip away?" Asks Zhao as he glares at the soldiers.

"Yes, sir, but other than that the festival went off without a hitch! No fights. Theft was way down" Replies the guard captain anxiously while a huge piece of burning planks of wood falls in the background.

"I don't care about your local crime rates! Which way did they go?" Says Zhao irritated.

"They headed into the forest, up the river I suspect" States the man.

"Ready the river boats. We're going after the Avatar" Orders Zhao.

❀❀❀

Chey exits Jeong Jeong's cottage. He arrives back where Aang and the others are sleeping. Everyone wakes up instantly as Chey approaches.

"What happened? Can I see Jeong Jeong now?" Asks Aang curiously.

"He won't see you. He's very angry that I brought you here. He wants you to leave immediately" Answers Chey downcast.

"Finally! Let's hit the road" Beams Sokka as he stretches.

"Why won't he see me?" Asks Aang confused.

"He says you're not ready. Says you haven't mastered waterbending and earthbending yet" Informs Chey.

"Wait, how does he know that?" Asks Aang surprised.

"He saw the way you walked into camp. He could tell" Shrugs Chey.

"I'm going in, anyway!" Protests Aang as he walks towards Jeong Jeong's cottage. He takes a deep breath, parts the curtain, and walks into the cottage.

"Get out" Grunts Jeong Jeong.

"Master, I need to learn firebending" States Aang.

"Only a fool seeks his own destruction" Retorts the man.

"I'm the Avatar, it's my destiny to-" Aang gets cut off by Jeong Jeong.

"Destiny? What would a boy know of destiny? If a fish lives its whole life in this river, does he know the river's destiny? No! Only that it runs on and on out of his control! He may follow where it flows, but he cannot see the end. He cannot imagine the ocean" Exclaims the man.

"Okay, but it's the Avatar's duty to master all of the bending disciplines" Replies Aang calmly.

"To master the bending disciplines, you must first master discipline itself. But you have no interest in this, so I have no interest in you! Now, get out" Scoffs Jeong Jeong.

"Please, I have to learn. This could be my only chance" Pleads Aang.

"Are you deaf? How can I teach you if you refuse to listen? Before learning firebending you must learn water and earth. Water is cool and soothing, earth is steady and stable, but fire, fire is alive! It breathes, it grows. Without the bender, a rock will not throw itself! But fire will spread and destroy everything in its path if one does not have the will to control it! That is its destiny! You are not ready! You are too weak!" Exclaims the man angrily as he makes gestures with his arms. However, at the final gesture the candles around Jeong Jeong violently flame up to illuminate the entire hut before quickly going out. A vision in front of Jeong Jeong begins, as one candle is seen lit in front of the firebender. A tree is in the background behind him, and in front of him stands Avatar Roku.

"You think I am weak?" Asks Avatar Roku in a stern tone.

"Avatar Roku! No, No! I did not mean that" Replies Jeong Jeong anxiously.

"I have mastered the elements a thousand times in a thousand lifetimes. Now, I must do it once again. You will teach the Avatar" States Avatar Roku.

"Yes, yes, I will teach you" Says Jeong Jeong as he looks at Roku, who suddenly disappears.

"Really? That's great!" Beams Aang while Jeong Jeong groans in dismay, fearing that this may not end well.

To be continued

Word count: 1.191