Chapter 38 - fake firebending

- Third POV -

"The sanctuary doors, they're closed!" Exclaims Shuyu. Aang tugs at the door in an attempt to open it, but fails.

"Can't you just open them with firebending? Like you opened that other door?" Asks Katara.

"No, only a fully realized Avatar is powerful enough to open this door along. Otherwise, the sages must open this door together. With five simultaneaous fire blasts" Explains Shyu while glancing at Mizuki.

"You're the dualbender, aren't you?" He asks.

"Yes, that's me" Replies Mizuki.

"What other element can you bend besides air?" Continues Shyu.

"Sorry, I won't be able to open that door. I'm a waterbender" Answers Mizuki.

"No need to apologize" Says Shyu.

"Five fire blasts, huh? I think I can help you out" Says Sokka determined.

❀❀❀

There's a small vessel being slid into the waters. Zuko quickly jumps on the smaller boat.

"Uncle, keep heading north. Zhao will follow the smoke trail, while I use it as a cover" Says Zuko. Iroh grunts in doubt, stroking his beard. Zuko's boat settles on the ocean's surface and dissapears in the smoke. Meanwhile Zhao lowers his telescope, staring at Zuko's trail of smoke with determination. Sokka's kneeling while pouring oil into a bag.

"This is a little trick I picked up from my father. I seal the lamp oil inside an animal skin casing, Shyu lights the oil soaked twine and, ta-da! Fake firebending" Explains Sokka as he picks up the bag, holding it proudly in front of him.

"You've really outdone yourself this time Sokka" Beams Katara.

"This might actually work" Says Shyu in an impressed tone.

"Wow, that's surprisingly...smart" Mumbles Mizuki. However, Sokka hears this and turns around.

"What's that supposed to mean" Exclaims Sokka as he pinches Mizuki's cheeck.

"Ouch, hey! I didn't mean it like that" Shrieks Mizuki while pushing Sokka's hand away.

"Guys, focus!" Interrupts Katara. Sokka walks towards the big doors and places a bag into the dragon's mouth.

"The sages will hear the explosion, so as soon as they go off, you rush in" Informs Sokka. Katara's hides behind a column. Mizuki's standing next to her, holding Momo in her arms. As soon as Sokka places the last bag into the dragon's mouth he rushes towards the girls and hides aswell. Mizuki glances towards Aang's direction.

"It's almost sunset. Are you ready?" She asks.

"Definitly" Replies Aang confidently. Shyu thrusts his finger forward, sending a small flare racing across the door to light all five bags at once. Shyu runs towards the closest column and takes cover. A loud explosion is heard, producing a lot of smoke. Aang bursts forwards and runs towards the door. He strains to open the door, which doesn't budge.

"They're still locked!" Says Aang confused. Sokka, who was hiding behind Mizuki stands up and approaches the door.

"It didn't work" Mutters Sokka upset. Aang beats upon the door while using airbending slices.

"Why, won't, it, open?!" He shouts angrily.

"Aang! Stop! There's nothing else we can do" Says Katara. Mizuki walks towards Aang and puts her hand on his shoulder.

"There must be another way to enter" Comforts Mizuki. Aang sighs and removes Mizuki's hand from his shoulder.

"I'm sorry I put you all through all of this for nothing" Apologizes Aang glumly.