Chapter 41 - waterbending scroll

- Third POV -

Katara, Mizuki, Sokka and Aang are walking through the streets of a city market and port. There are many armed men staring at the group. Mizuki, Katara and Sokka look around nervously while Aang looks around in wonder.

"We've got exactly three copper pieces left from the money that King Bumi gave us. Let's spend it wisely" Suggests Sokka. Mizuki nods in agreement.

"Uh, make that two copper pieces Sokka. I couldn't say no to this whistle!" Replies Aang as he pulls out a white whistle that looks like a bison. He takes a huge breath and blows into it, but it barely makes a sound.

"It doesn't even work" Facepalms Mizuki. Aang stops blowing when Momo squawks at him.

"See? Even Momo thinks it's a piece of junk" Says Sokka annoyed as he points at Momo.

"No offense Aang, but I'll hold the money from now on" Says Katara while Aang hands her the two copper coins. Suddenly, the teenagers hear a man talking in front of his boat that's docked in the water.

"Earth Nation! Fire Nation! Water Nation! So long as bargains are your inclination, you're welcome here! Don't be shy, come on by!" Shouts the man excitedly. The moment the group walks by the man he rushes towards them.

"Oh! You there, I can see from your clothing that you're world-traveling types. Perhaps I can interest you in some exotic curios?" Exclaims the man. Mizuki raises a brow at him.

"Sure! What are curios?" Asks Aang.

"Oh, I'm not entirely sure. But we got 'em!" Replies the man as he puts his hand on Aang's shoulder and smiles, walking him into the ship. Mizuki, Sokka and Katara follow them into the ship. Inside of the boat there's multiple strange items lined up on shelves.

"huh?" Mutters Aang as he looks at an item on a shelf, confused. Katara stares at an ornate monkey statue on one of the shelves eerily.

"I've never seen such a fine specimen of lemur. That beast would fetch me a hefty sum if you'd be interested in bartering" Says a man who's standing in a dark doorway as Aang passes by with Momo on his back. The man approaches Aang. Mizuki turns around to see Aang standing in front of a man with a iguana parrot on his shoulder.

"Momo's not for sale" States Aang as he grabs Momo protectively and hands it over to Mizuki, who's standing behind him. Mizuki gulps, realizing the man is a pirate. Katara's walking over to a shelf where a number of scrolls are kept. She grabs one with a waterbending symbol on it and opens it to see lines of waterbending diagrams and writing.

"Look at this Mizuki! It's a waterbending scroll!" Beams Katara. Mizuki walks up to Katara and her eye's widen upon seeing the scroll.

"That's g-great" Stutters Mizuki nervously. Aang approaches the two girls.

"Aang! Check out these crazy moves" Exclaims Katara.

"Where did you get a waterbending scroll?" Asks Aang curiously as he turns to face the man, the captain of the pirates.

"Let's just say I got it up North, at a most reasonable price, free" Says the Captain as he slams his hand onto the scroll and pulls it away. He rolls the scroll back up and puts it away back in its shelf.

"Wait a minute...sea loving traders, with suspiciously acquired merchandise. And pet reptile birds? You guys are pirates!" Exclaims Sokka. The man who had brought them to the ship puts his arm around Sokka, who looks at him with a terrified expression on his face.

"We prefer to think of ourselves as 'high risk traders'" Smirks the man. Mizuki nervously puts her hood on her head.

"So, how much for the, uh, 'traded' scroll?" Asks Katara.