Chapter 10 - is this goodbye?

- Third POV -

Aang, Mizuki and Katara are walking towards the village, the Southern Water Tribe villagers have gathered in the snow, waiting for the trio's return. Once the trio had arrived the children became overjoyed upon seeing Aang.

"Yay! Aang's back!" Shouts a little girl. Some kids run over to Aang while the others remain cheerful in the crowd. The adults are showing more stern and offended expressions. The children reach to Aang, Mizuki and Katara, crowding around him gleefully, and Aang responds kindly. Sokka breaks from the line of villagers and steps forward towards Aang.

"I knew it! You signaled the Fire Navy with that flare! You're leading them straight to us, aren't you?" Sokka accusingly points a finger at Aang as he walks closer towards the trio.

"Aang didn't do anything! It was an accident" protests Katara while Mizuki takes a step forward.

"It's true, Aang had no intention of signaling the Fire Navy" Says Mizuki, Katara nods in agreement.

"Yeah. We were on the ship and there was this booby trap, and, well...we booby-ed right into it" Says Aang sheepishly as he awkwardly rubs his head.

"Katara, you shouldn't have gone on that ship! Now we could all be in danger!" Exclaims Kanna in a concerned tone.

"Don't blame Katara. I brought her there. It's my fault" Answers Aang sorrowfully. Mizuki opens her mouth to say something but before she even gets the chance to do so, she gets cut off by Sokka.

"Aha! The traitor confesses! Warriors, away from the enemy. The foreigner is banished from our village" Demands Sokka, finally having found an excuse. The children begin to sadly walk away. Mizuki frowns, knowing that if Aang has to leave. She will have to leave too.

"Sokka, you're making a mistake" Snaps Katara, clenching her fists.

"No, I'm keeping my promise to dad. I'm protecting you, from threats like him!" Persists Sokka while pointing at Aang.

"Aang is not our enemy!" Shouts Katara annoyed.

"Don't you see? Aang's brought us something we haven't had in a long time: fun" Continues Katara in a calm, soothing voice.

"Fun?! We can't fight firebenders with fun!" Shouts Sokka angrily.

"You should try it sometime" Suggests Aang, Mizuki giggles at his suggestion.

"Get out of our village! Now!" Snapped Sokka.

"Grandmother, please. Don't let Sokka do this" Pleads Katara as Kanna sighs.

"Katara, you knew going on that ship was forbidden. Sokka is right. I think it best if the airbender leaves" States Kanna.

"Fine! Then I'm banished, too! Come on, let's go" Shouts Katara in anger, she takes Mizuki's and Aang's arm and starts dragging them away.

"Where do you think you're going?" Asks Sokka in a demanding tone.

"To find a waterbender. Aang and Mizuki are taking me to the North Pole" Responds Katara angrily.

"We are? Great!" Says Aang confused, but happily.

"Katara! Would you really choose him over your tribe? Your own family?" Asks Sokka. Katara stops in her tracks, right between Appa and her tribe. Katara looks down sorrowfully as Aang approaches her with a sad look upon his face. Mizuki looks at Katara with empathy.

"Katara, I don't want to come between you and your family" Says Aang in an understanding tone.

"So, you're leaving the South Pole? Is this goodbye?" Replies Katara upset, Mizuki looks down with a sorrowful expression on her face. She didn't like saying goodbye to friends...