5. Challenge

The conversation between Luigi and Eden had been interrupted to Eden's delight. She was about to lose her temper with Luigi when a customer had walked in.

Eden was now attending to the customer under the watchful gaze of Luigi who was staring at her while leaning to the wall with his hands in his pocket.

Eden said to the customer with a smile "Have a safe trip home."

As the customer left. Luigi said "You are good at what you do. I give you that. How long have you been helping your father at this shop?"

Eden ignored him. She picked up a box from behind the counter and started unpacking it. She was going to stock one of the shelves that she had noticed could do with some top up of goods.

Luigi could not believe this girl said "Why do you ignore my questions? It is not polite you know."

Eden sighed. She looked up at him "I  would have thought it is obvious to you by now.  I have better things to do with my time than to answer your questions. I am not answering because I am hoping you give up asking me questions."

Luigi said "Bad idea. I do not advise you to use that strategy to stop me from asking you questions. I am telling you now, that it will not work in your favour. So just answer the question."

Eden shook her head. She unpacked the box and picked up a few packs of medicine. Eden sighed "You are so annoying. Ok. I tell you. I have been helping my father ever since I started high school. At the beginning it was just small things and mostly I was watching what he did. Now that I am older and I have customer service skills, I can do alot more."

Luigi said "I see. Where is your mother? Doesnt she come and help your father here?" Now that she was willing to answer his questions, he wanted to try to get into personal questions too. He was testing how far she could reveal about herself.

Eden said "No. She can't. She is a nurse. She has long shifts at the hospital."

Luigi said "So what do you want to do when you grow older? Do you want to become a chemist or nurse?"

Eden rolled her eyes and looked at him "What makes you think I ever want to become a chemist or nurse?"

Luigi said "I just assumed you may want to follow the career path of your family. I think you want to get into your family business of helping and curing the sick. Isn't that right."

Eden said "I do not know."

Luigi asked "What do you mean?"

Eden said "I actually don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I just want to get good grades at school so I can get into any college course I ever decide to choose. Are you done with your questions?"

Luigi said "Maybe."

Eden said" Good. Now I can do some work in peace." She then got on with finishing stacking shelves as she whispered "Finally. No disturbance and total quiet."

Luigi smiled as he observed her. He thought for a few seconds. Then he said "I asked you questions. Now it is your turn. Why don't you ask me some questions?"

Eden went back to the counter and picked up a pen "I do not have any questions for you Luigi."

Luigi said "Do you want to know what I want to be when I grow up?"

Eden started scribbling as she looked down. "Not really."

Luigi said "I tell you anyway. I want to follow in father's footsteps."

Eden said "Good for you." She stopped writing and started pouring herself a glass of water.

Luigi said "I just told you I want to have the same job as my father one day. Don't you want to ask me what my father does for a living?"