60. Persistence

Gianluca was sitting outside in the balcony of the Alessandrini mansion building a castle out of playing cards. 

Lena slowly stepped onto the balcony "Do you... Do you want to come inside and have dinner? Or are you waiting for Luigi to come back?"

Gianluca turned to Lena "I am not really hungry... I wait..."

Lena walked to Gianluca and sat down on a chair next to him "I wait too... I am not hungry... All I think about is Eden...."

Gianluca said "Eden will be fine... She is found and she is recovering... You should go inside... " But on the inside he preferred if she stayed outside and kept him company. He had been sitting outside with a good view of the gate and ready to shout out orders if any uninvited guests arrived at the Alessandrini mansion... Her father was away and so was her brother.

Lena looked at the castle Gianluca was building with awe "It looks amazing. It would be a shame to demolish it... You spent all this time building it and then you will collect the cards..."

Gianluca said "It helped me kill some time... It served its purpose..."

Lena asked "How do you make castles out of these cards? Where did you learn to do it... I cant even make a house using just cards..."

Gianluca said "I have years of experience..."

Lena asked "Years?"

Gianluca said "Yes... I played cards with Christian alot when I went over to his place and sometimes we built houses out of cards...."

Lena said "Oh... Of course... Have you heard from him?" Lena was worried about Christian. He was Gianluca's best friend and she could see how Gianluca was concerned about him. Gianluca had told Lena everything about what had happened and how he was after Adelmo Leone.

Gianluca said "He is fine... His future underboss, Lorcan called me up a few minutes ago actually. Lorcan told me Christian is back home now. Lorcan said when Christian came home he asked Lorcan to call me to say he is alive. But Christian doesnt want to see visitors and has locked himself in the attic... I just give him space... Maybe I call him tomorrow or wait for him to call me... Sometimes distance and time is what someone needs..."

Lena nodded and then said "Do you think you will always have a close friendship with him?..."

Gianluca said "I guess... Christian and I have spent so many years being friends. It would be very hard to break our friendship unless one of us betrays the other..."

Lena looked around and then asked "Do you mind me asking you something... I hope you dont take it the wrong way... Gabriella is wondering the same... Has your friendship been affected after you know, .... Christian told you he likes your sister?"

Gianluca sighed and looked away "No... Not right now.... But in the future it could affect everything.... , I dont know.... Time will tell Lena... Time will tell... If Christian does anything I will forgive him but if he hurts my sister or anyone else that I care about, I wont forgive him... Including you... You mean so much to me Lena..."

Lena looked away as Gianluca's intense stare was on her. Suddenly she felt like running away from him. When Gianluca looked at her like that, she felt like there was no one but her in this world. He made her feel special... But also she felt nervous when he looked at her like that. Lena whispered "Its abit chilly. I should go inside..."

Gianluca said "Lena.... Stay abit longer... Maybe we can talk more..."

Lena looked shyly at Gianluca.

Gianluca said "You are good at avoiding me... You always have been... But I miss you too much Lena..."

Lena smiled nervously and shyly at Gianluca. She missed him too. But she was shy. It could take time for her to be as comfortable around him as Gianluca liked her to be.