28. Sports Time

It was after school and Eden was at her first cheer leading practice. The training times varied for cheer leader practice just like how it varied for the boys' football team who were training in the field next to them that afternoon. Sometimes training was before and sometimes was after school. Closer to official games, their practice sessions could be both before and after school. She was now standing in line next to Lena listening to Gabriela who was the head cheer leader explaining what they were doing. They were warming up in pairs. She paired up with Lena gladly and as she was warming up she glanced at the field next to them looking at how the boys were training.

There were new recruits joining them that day. Luigi was training them while the main team was being trained by Gianluca. Luigi was closer to the girls' field and Gianluca was farther away so it was clearer for Eden to see what Luigi was upto.

Eden's eyes were following Luigi around the field. He was so authoritative, quite serious and strict. She saw a very harsh side of him there. Eden also paid attention to Gianluca. He demonstrated leadership skills that Luigi did. He also was quite authoritative.

Eden turned to Lena. She noticed that she was looking at Gianluca and even cringing as she saw him order people around and shouting at them "These boys are so harsh."

Lena turned to Eden and said "I am glad your brother is not sporty and does not want to join the football team. I bet he is happy with the hiking team. There he does not have to cope with the pressures of what those boys are going through there."

Eden said "I know. He did not even want to join the hikers but I persuaded him to join some sport club to meet new people. I am glad he is not joining this football team... Are they always this mean?"

Lena said "I am new to the school. I have seen how Luigi treats those who he trains. He was a captain in our old school but here he is happy being vice captain. I know his style. I agree he is harsh..."

Eden said "What about your boyfriend? Did you know he was like this?"

Lena said as she was looking at the field "I knew he was a strict leader... But I had never seen him in action before in football." She then closed her eyes "Damn..." She then opened her eyes and looked away "I don't think I can watch any more."

Eden said "I think I want to go over and have a word with them... They need to cool down..."

Lena shook hear head "No. Don't do that. Are you mad? They are the football team... They have authority over the cheerleaders. We do not want to make them mad. Trust me."

Eden asked "What do you mean they have authority over us? I do not follow. We are the cheerleaders. They are the football team."

Lena said "Well. This is a private school Eden. This school and my old school have the same system. The system here is a bit different to your old school that was a public school as you mentioned to me before..."

Eden said "And... How is this school different to my old school when it comes to relations between Cheerleaders and footballers? I mean I have nothing to compare it to really. In my old school we only had basketball and baseball. No football. We cheered for the basketball team and baseball team. They had no authority over us..."

Lena said "In this school. They make the rules. We are part of their team really. We cheer for the football team only. They manage our team. That is the way the school works. We have Gabriela as head cheer leader. She is working below Luigi and Gianluca. And now there is tension between us. Gabriela wants to be part of the astronomy club in the Irish School. As part of her initiation there she has to cheer for all the baseball home games this season. Gabriela told me that Gianluca and Luigi spent awhile arguing with her over it in the football captain's office. They finally accepted it. But she says there is tension. If we give them any excuse they may give us strikes and will sanction us. What if they give us extra laps to run or worse?"