33. Honesty

Eden was carrying a bag of medication to a new address. There was no one else available to do a delivery that night and apparently the customer who had placed the order was a well known businessman who was a man who did charity wlork for the public hospitals. One of the hospitals that were on his list for consideration for his next month's charity donations was the hospital where Eden's mother worked as a nurse. Eden's parents had met up with him personally at some point asking him to consider donating to the children's ward that was struggling. Eden's father wanted to keep this customer happy so they wanted to make this delivery that night.

Eden reached the destination and looked at the building. It was a nice looking new building which obviously housed various offices of some kind. She rang the door bell and a man opened the door who seemed like the security guard by the look of his uniform. He said "How may I help you lady?"

Eden said "I am here to deliver medication to a client."

The guard opened the door fully and said "Come in. You are expected. Go upstairs. Second floor. Turn right. Knock on the second door."

Eden nodded and walked away. She walked up the stairs and reached the correct door. She knocked and when she heard a "come inside" she opened the door. She saw a man sitting behind a desk.

He said "Who are you?"

Eden came in "I am from the Carter's chemist. I have brought your medication."

The man nodded "Come in. Place it on the desk." He then took some money from a box and placed it in an envelope.

As Eden placed the medication bag on the table, the man pushed the envelope towards here "Here is your money. Keep the change."

Eden said "Thank you." As she was about to walk away, the man said "Tell your parents I have decided where to write my next month's charity donation check to. It will write it for the hospital where your mother works as a nurse."

Eden was happy to hear that. She said "That is great. I am sure they appreciate that very much. I appreciate it too. It would mean so much to that hospital. Every dollar can make a difference."

The man replied "It would be my pleasure. Eden Carter."

Eden was surprised he knew her name "You know my name?"

The man nodded "Yes. I do. You look a lot like your aunt Eleanor by the way."

Eden felt uneasy suddenly. Did this man know her aunt? How? Her aunt was the most private woman. She did not let anyone in. She did not even answer her phone. She called their family always when she wanted to talk to them and no uninvited guests could arrive at her home. She did not even talk to her neighbours let alone some stranger. Maybe she knew him through the work at her law firm. That must have been it. She said "Oh. You know my aunt? Are you one of the current client or former clients of the law firm she works for?"

The man said "You could say that. Yes. But I do business mostly with her father in law, Ferdinando Fontana."

Eden gasped in shock.

The man said "I must say, your aunt Eleanor is a phenomenal woman. I am glad her father in law agreed to let her marry Fabrizio."

Eden shook her head in disbelief. "What are you talking about? My aunt is single... She has no husband... This must be an identity mix up of some kind."

The man said "Oh. So you do not know about this yet? I am sorry. I thought you must have been told about her secret marriage. Eleanor's father in law lifted the rules for her recently. They fully trust her not to betray the Fontanas and have done enough background check on your family to know you are not the type to cause trouble. Your parents and your uncle were let into the secret. They were told over the weekend. Your uncle has agreed to work for the Fontanas indefinitely from now on. Your father also will give priority to suppliers and consumers working with the Fontanas. I thought you were told too. But you will be told soon. I wonder if your brother Ethan know. I guess they will tell you later. Perhaps when you meet your cousin."