58. Control

Christian balled his hands into fists and put them the pockets of his long coat. He turned around slowly. He laid eyes on the man who he recognised immediately. He knew he was looking at Adelmo Leone. He had seen his pictures. He wore black. Just black. The cold grey eyes of his was looking at him up and down with an unreadable expression.

"Finally I am meeting you... Finally.... After all these years...  You have left your grandfather's fortress... I am Adelmo Leone by the way... And I always wanted to meet you..." Adelmo then walked slowly towards Christian as he was looking at him intensely. "How did your grandfather let you out of his territory all unprotected?"

Christian just stared at him blankly with a hard expression. 

Adelmo asked as he approached Christian while his stare did not leave Christian's "Did you tell him you were coming here today?"

Christian just stared at Adelmo.

Adelmo  was looking at Christian with an unwavering stare "I asked you a question kid. Don't keep me waiting..."

Christian stared back at him defiantly. He was there for answers. He had plenty of questions. But being there had stirred some emotions inside him. He didn't know where to start and what to do. He wanted to attack this man. His grandfather had said Adelmo had ordered his parents to die. But Christian wanted some answers and hear this man out before he did anything. 

Adelmo stood in front of Christian and then raised his hand. He put his hand under Christian's chin and tilted it upwards "You look like him... You look alot like your father..." 

Christian narrowed his eyes. Christian was trying hard to hold back his rage at this man who without a doubt felt nothing but hate towards his father. How could he mention his father in front of him? Christian reminded himself that was there to hear the true account of what had happened. He had to control his emotions.

Adelmo Leone let go of Christian's chin but kept staring into Christian's eyes "You may look like your father but your spirit is as fearless as your mother... The same spirit I fell in love with..."

Christian saw red. He raised his hand to punch Adelmo but he caught his wrist when Christian almost hit him. Adelmo sighed and said "Tsk tsk.... Christian... You have courage.. Alot of it... I kill men for doing much less...  No one has ever tried to strike me and has lived...." He then leaned closer and whispered in Christian's ear "Except your mother of course...." Adelmo let go of Christian's wrist and warned "I will let your disrespect go just like I always did with your mother when she disrespected me..." 

Christian took a step back shaking his head. He said as calmly as he could "Adelmo Leone... Respect is earned... I feel no respect for you... You hated my father and had eyes for his woman..."

An emotion crossed Adelmo's eyes as he took a step towards Christian and spoke with meaning behind each word "He had eyes for my woman actually." Christian subconsciously took a step back.  Adelmo  said harshly "He took my woman away... I met her first... And for that reason and that reason alone, I hated your father... I hated him with a passion... I wished more than anything that your mother had chosen me over him but she didn't. She chose your father .... And she even had a child with him... You.... Right now I am looking at a young man that should have been my son... How can I feel anything but rage and hate towards your father?" 

Christian's back hit the wall. Christian had just realised he had taken steps back and had retreated as Adelmo had taken steps closer towards him as he had declared his love for his mother. The love this man felt for his mother was real. There was no doubt about it. His declaration of affection towards her was very intense. That made Christian question the theory that this man had ordered his father to die. He looked into this man'e eyes. Could this man bring himself to make his mother a widow? He wasn't sure. He couldn't believe he suddenly had doubts. His grandfather had said this man had caused his parents and uncle to die. Could his grandfather be wrong?