16. Phoenix

Lena was looking at Gianluca as he was touching her handkerchief tracing the patterns on it with his hands. He looked up at her and was about to say something when suddenly Luigi came inside and said "Oh. Here you are. I am sorry I took abit long with the phone call. Let's go."

Gianluca said "See you later Lena."

Lena said "See you later."

As Gianluca left, she let out the breath she was holding. She put her hand on her heart. Her heart was beating so fast. She could not believe how much being with Gianluca affected her. The look in his eyes was just making her experience feelings that she had tried to avoid for years. When he looked at her, he made her feel this way sometimes.  She stood up, turned off the TV and picked up her embroidery equipment and carried them upstairs with her to her room. It was time to do something else. She put away her embroidery set in her crafts cabinet and then something grabbed her attention. There was a dusty box at the bottom of her crafts cabinet she had not opened in a while. She kept objects that held memories for her and were like small treasures. Maybe she could sort through them. She picked up the box, dusted it off and took it with her to bed.

Lena sat on the bed and put the box in front of her and opened it. There were so many objects in there. She smiled as she looked through them. When she emptied the box, she came across an envelope. Her heart started beating faster now. It was from Gianluca. This was from years ago. She opened the envelope and the contents fell out. There was a beautiful necklace. A beautiful pendent necklace of a diamond phoenix. She was always in awe of this necklace that Gianluca had gifted her at one of her birthdays. She loved it too much to even wear it. She was afraid of losing it. That had been her initial thought that the necklace looked way too stunning to be worn. The Phoenix was breathtakingly beautiful... just like how Gianluca was. She shook off her thoughts and looked away. He was handsome. He truly was.

She looked back at the necklace and smiled at the memory. A phoenix was Gianluca's favourite mythical creature. He liked it because a phoenix could rise from the ashes and make a come back. It matched his personality. That was who he was. He never gave up. He believed he could build anything from the ground. He believed that there was no obstacle that was too big for him to cross over to get what he aimed for. That was what she loved about him.

Lena closed her eyes. She loved him. But she wanted to deny it. She loved his courage, his determination and his devotion. He had never given up on his love for her. All she had done was avoid him and shy away from him but he still cared so much for her. He had waited so long for her. She had hoped he would ask another girl out but he had chosen her. He made her nervous and fearful sometimes... But he was sincere, honourable and sincere. Most importantly he never gave up... She admired that about him so much.

Lena had decided to wear this necklace from now on. She liked the necklace. Also she wanted to be reminded of what she loved about Gianluca the most.

****

Gianluca had arrived home from the Alessandrini mansion and was now sitting opposite Christian playing cards. He had placed a plate of chips on the table and was eating from it as he was playing cards and talking to Christian about school.

Gianluca said "Don't you like the chips? Do you want something else to eat?"

Christian said "I do like chips. I am not hungry."

Gianluca said "Really?"

Christian said "I do not eat that much you know..."

Gianluca said "I was just surprised. Normally you do not say no to snacks and treats. You know... with your rules at your home."

Christian chuckled "Rules at home? My grandpa does let me eat snacks and treats. He just won't let me have them unless I finish my dinner. He is reasonable I guess. Or that is what Connor keeps telling me... He also says I do not have that many rules and the ones I have is for my health or safety mostly.