42. Family Ties

It was early morning and Lorcan made his way to the training building to lift some weights. He did not have physical training that morning. He had to do some basic training with the underbosses and of course do as Christian said. Even though that morning he had free time, he wanted to work out instead of sleeping for longer.

As Lorcan entered he was shocked to see Christian was doing pull ups. He walked to him slowly and before he could say anything, Christian said "Hi Lorcan... Good morning...."

Lorcan said "Hi... I don't know if I should say good night or good morning to you. It's still dark outside you know. What are you doing here?"

Christian said "This is a training facility. What does it look like I am doing?"

Lorcan walked to a padded surface and laid down. He started lifting weights as he was laying down but kept looking at Christian "I don't get it... You are the boss here... Do you have to come so early to train? Does your grandfather tell you to train before school so early?

Christian chuckled "No. I don't need to train this early. For your information my grandfather does not know how many hours of training I do every day... He leaves me to it... If none of his underbosses complain about me working too hard he never asks... He leaves me to make my own schedule for training, school and homework. As long as I get good reports he won't get involved..."

Lorcan said "Hm.... His underbosses... I have seen them a lot since I arrived... Sedric and Shane... They tell me you work too hard.... Tell me.... Why do you work so hard?"

Christian said "This is not me working hard... This is me challenging myself to be the best..." He then let go of the bar that he had used for doing his pulls ups and landed on the floor. Christian then started drinking from his water bottle and said "I am the only Kavannagh heir to this family. I can't afford to be weak in any area... Weakness means failure... To my grandpa, Shane and Sedric, I am doing well... I have exceeded their expectations... But no amount of preparation and training is enough in my eyes ... I can't let anything bring me down... I have enemies Lorcan... One of the reasons I have hired you is to be by my side... To stand by me no matter what happens... I need you to be a someone who encourages me to push myself hard and challenge myself on daily basis."

Lorcan said "Alright. I will do that. I will do anything you demand... You are the boss here Christian..."

Christian put down his water bottle "Excellent... You have caught on quickly... Come over here..."

Lorcan complied. He stopped lifting weights. Got up and walked to Christian.

Christian said "I have a task for you Lorcan... Follow me..."

Lorcan followed. He then was slowly putting the pieces together about what he wanted. Christian now had entered the boxing rink. He motioned for him to enter "Come in... Let's spar..."

Lorcan said "You want me to spar with you?"

Christian said "Yes... Come into the rink... I want us to have a proper hand to hand combat... You must not hold back at all..."

Lorcan entered the rink "I am not sure if it is a good idea... I can see you are trying to test my loyalty to you.... But I can't possibly not hold back... I mean, I know I am not supposed to ever cause any harm to you... How can I make sure you won't get hurt if I do not know your limits..."

Christian said "You are either one of my men or not soldier... You work for me... I want you to attack me now... You will not hold back..."

Lorcan said "You want me to attack first? Seriously?"

Christian said "Yes... I do... I spar with others too... But with them its training... With you its a fight... I saw you fight in the training session yesterday without you noticing it... You put up some good fights. Those men are the best at what they do and are trained by Sedric. They are gladiators. You did some good fighting there.... I need to learn from you... You have tricks I have never seen before... Attack..."