47. New Days

Weeks Later

Lena was sitting in the car next to her mother. They were on their way from the airport to a hotel where they were to stay until the final missions to save the hostages held by Irish families were completed. It had been weeks already but the outcome was not victory yet for the Italians. There had been danger and threats detected in case things went wrong. So women and children of high ranked families were to stay in one place with high security until the rescue missions were completed and perhaps peace treaties could be signed at some point with new terms and conditions.

Eden was also accompanying them but she was arriving slightly later. Lena's father had suggested that Eden should come with them as she was linked to Luigi. Alessandrini territory was safe but protocol and precaution had to be followed.  Eden was not part of the family but Luigi cared for her safety and having her close to Luigi helped put his mind at ease.

Gabriela and her mother were also coming in the long line of cars from the airport. Bellagios were at the same hotel alongside many other families so it meant Lena could see Gabriela. She had missed her best friend. But also she felt she had missed the normal times.

A lot had changed in the past few weeks. Lena had studied at home for weeks and so had many other kids. The Italian and Irish schools had postponed the joint homecoming dance. Ironically families were against cancelling the event. For those who wanted war that was a power display and a chance to show a United front with their family connections. For those who wanted peace that dance represented a way forward toward peace for younger generations to be closer to being allies than rivals. This homecoming dance between Irish and Italian school was only set up because  Christian wanted it. The Kavannaghs would not have set something like this up for no other person or cause.

As she got off the car, at the hotel's car park, she was lead to her hotel room with her mother. She was free to walk around the hotel as it was safe but she had to be careful who she bumped into and couldn't go too far from their side of the hotel. The Italian crime families had become closer since the crisis had started and despite it being a stressful time it was time for unity so at this hotel she could be bumping to anyone. She was sure she was going to meet some people for the first time.

Lena was hoping to see Luigi around. She hadn't seen him in a while. Luigi was involved in missions and but she had no idea to what extent.  She just prayed for his safety and of course she prayed for Gianluca's safety too. At the thought of seeing him again after weeks she felt nervous and happy at the same time. He made her nervous but made her feel happy too. She had missed him and it was hard for her to admit it.

As Lena was walking around in the hotel trying to learn the new place she found herself lost in a corridor. She was adventurous. She was meant to find the indoor cinema of the hotel but she had become lost and there were no personnel in sight. But she was not too worried. What was the worst that could happen. This place was safe. But then her perspective changed as she ended up in so many different corridors one after another with no luck. How big was this place?  This was no ordinary hotel. So much time had passed now. Maybe an hour or longer. She was helplessly walking round and there was no sign or people around. She had been warned to stay at their side of the hotel and not go too far. She had not listened.

As Lena was losing hope and panicking she heard music. A calming music. It was the sound of a violin. She knew at least she would come across a person if she walked towards the music. The sound of music was so inviting and beautiful and if she was not stressing for being lost and being too far from her room, she would have enjoyed listening more to sound of violin. She followed the music and came in front of a room. The sound of music was so inviting and calming. She felt safe for some reason even though she was in front of a stranger's room. But she decided to slowly open the door and enter not to alert them because she did not want the music to stop. It was not locked to her surprise. She entered and closed the door slowly and then walked towards the sound that was from the back room.