34. Talking at the Diner

Lothario was at work. He was sitting in an office behind his desk at one of his business headquarters in New York. He heard a knock on the door. He was surprised to hear anyone knocking. He had instructed his secretary that no one was allowed in because he was busy. No one was to disturb him until he had called the secretary up to say otherwise. Regardless he said "Come in."

Lothario was surprised to see his son enter his office. But again he should have known only someone like Luigi would have dared defy a non-disturbance order by him.

Luigi entered and closed the door. "Hello... I need to talk to you..."

Lothario raised an eyebrow "And you could not wait to talk to me when I got home tonight from work."

Luigi shook his head as he walked closer to his father's desk "No. It is urgent... It is about Eden."

Lothario nodded "Of course it is... Take a seat. Tell me whats bothering you..."

Luigi sat down on a sofa opposite his father's desk and told his father everything. He told every detail of his encounter with Eden that afternoon. Of course he had missed the part where she had touched her hand on top of his. After that point he had diverted the conversation away and had asked Eden to give him every single other detail that she had heard from her aunt. Eventually he had to leave because Eden had said she wanted to make dinner that night to keep herself occupied. They were going to have food from outside that night. But Eden said she needed something to occupy her and wanted to be alone. So he had left.

Lothario listened to every detail and nodded silently. He waited for his son to finish.

As Luigi finished telling his father everything he said "Father... I need to know anything you can tell me... Eden is worried. I do not blame her. She has no idea who the Fontanas are and what they do. But she knows what life of crime can mean... She knows there is danger. Her aunt has made explicit threats to her family about what will happen if they displease the Fontanas... What can I do to help Eden?"

Lothario sighed "Luigi. You are talking to the wrong person here really. If you want information on the Fontanas, you will get more answers from your grandfather..."

Luigi said "From grandpa?"

Lothario nodded "Yes. Him and Ferdinando Fontana do have a friendship. I do not know of details... However, I think I am pretty certain Eden has nothing to worry about for now about the Fontanas... Your grandfather and I had an interesting conversation today. I think its best if you talk to him because I think its best you hear a first hand account from him and also Luigi I am very busy right now... Go talk to your grandpa... You can find him right across the street actually. After he paid me a visit today, he said he was going to go across the street to that diner that has a private serving place for us with a nice view on the top floor."

Luigi stood up "Ok... I will go to see him... If he is still there."

Lothario said "I think he must be still there because he said he was going to watch some program on TV while he was going to drink and eat something. He said he was meeting up with a friend. Now leave. I have work son..."

Luigi said goodbye and left. He knew whatever his father was working on was serious.

Luigi left the building and made his way to the multi storey fancy diner that his family members used sometimes. There were many social settings where his family got special treatment and even had priority access to their special guest rooms. But this diner was a favourite of his grandpa for some reason. He entered the diner and the manager standing there quickly recognised him and politely lead him to where his grandpa was. As his father had said, his grandpa was on the top floor in a room with a nice view.