18. Sounds & Cars

Lena and Luigi arrived at their school in a car at an early hour. They got off and made it through the car park. At the main entrance of the school, they were given flyers. It was their schedule for the day. That day was a collapsed day. Basically the students every semester had these special days where they had special workshops and activities that were relevant to their academic subjects but were more fun mostly and were teaching them useful skills or informed them of some interesting new topics. Lena and Luigi had those kind of days at their old school which they found quite fun. The format seemed pretty much the same as this school's way of doing it. The students attended different sessions throughout the day and were not necessarily with their own age group. Different grades mixed together. The kids basically chose sessions that interested them and attended them. Some sessions could have dozens attending them and some sessions could have two or three.

Luigi said "Collapsed day means no football practice for today.... I am gonna be bored this morning. But it is fine. I will find some interesting session before school to attend I hope. They have a list of sessions to choose from. So much variety. Not disappointed at all...."

Lena said "I look forward to today... Some of them sound interesting."

The siblings looked at the leaflet and discussed what workshops and sessions they liked to try out. They then walked in silence towards their destinations. They then at some point split up as their destinations were not near each other. The activities they had in mind were taking place in different areas of the school.

As Lena was walking to the building she was trying to reach, she stopped as she heard music. The sound of the music was so beautiful. It was the sound of a violin. She looked around trying to find the source of the sound. She spotted the music building. She walked towards the building and the sound became stronger so the source was there. The sound was so beautiful. She got closer and closer. She entered the building and followed the sound. She then found the room that she was sure the sound was coming from. She opened the door. She froze. She saw Gianluca standing alone at the window and playing the violin. She looked at him with a mixture of awe and surprise. The sound felt so unreal. It was the kind of sound that a professional violinist could make.

Lena had no idea he could play the violin. She had never seen any kind of musical instruments or music notes at the House of Bellagio. But why if he could play so well he had never given any hints of being able to play music at their home? He was so good. It did not add up that he did not own a violin at home. He was playing with so much skill. So he only played violin in school?

Lena decided not to make him aware of her presence. She sat down on a chair and watched Gianluca silently enjoying the beautiful tune. She sat there in silence. She loved the music so much she closed her eyes and absorbed the beautiful sound.

Minutes went past and then suddenly the sound of music stopped. She heard his voice "Lena..."

Lena opened her eyes and looked at Gianluca. She said as she was playing with her skirt with her hands "Sorry... If I did not notify you of my presence. I just did not want to stop you from playing. You play so well. It was so beautiful... I enjoyed hearing it..." The words came naturally to her. It helped that she was seated. It made her less nervous around him even under his deep stare. She had nothing but words of admiration and wanted for Gianluca to hear those compliments before she left that room. She also had so many questions to ask but she did not know where to start.

Gianluca said "I am glad you enjoyed it..." He then put away the violin.

Lena said "Aren't you going to play another song?"

Gianluca said "Another song? Why would I play another song?"

Lena said "Well... If I played a musical instrument as good as you I would have been playing it very often. You are a master at playing the violin. Where did you learn to play the violin so well? I did not know you took music lessons of any kind. Did you learn to play in school so well? But such level of playing the violin needs hours of practice every week. How have you learnt to play the violin if you have been just learning it at school? Don't you need practice at home too to become so skilled? How come you do not own anything to do with music at your home let alone a violin?" She was so curious to find out. So many questions flew out. She had known the Bellagios for years but she never knew he played the violin so well.