37. Connections

It was late at night. Luigi's car driven by a chauffeur and followed by cars of bodyguards entered through the gates of the Alessandrini property. Luigi spotted the Bellagio cars still there parked in front of the mansion. He looked at his watch. What in the world was Gianluca still doing there? He was supposed to take Lena out on a date and then bring her home before bed time. He had not been told he was going to stay longer. As he got off the car, he was told that Gianluca was waiting to speak with him in the living room. Luigi ordered "I will meet him in my room. It is quite late at night."

The guard who had informed him of Gianluca's request bowed slightly "Yes sir. I will inform them of your response."

Luigi made his way to his room and took off his coat. As he started untying his tie, he heard a knock on the door. He said "Come in."

Gianluca came inside and shut the door "Hi."

Luigi rapide an eyebrow "It is late at night. What are you doing here?"

Gianluca said "I needed to talk to you..."

Luigi said "You could talk to me tomorrow."

Gianluca sighed as he walked towards Luigi slowly "Do not downplay this situation Luigi. We both know why I am here and this meeting could not wait till tomorrow. I need answers Luigi. I hear Salvatorio and his sister Smeralda are on American soil. What do they want from your family that made you and your father leave suddenly?"

Luigi stood in front of his bed and said "It was business...."

Gianluca walked closer to Luigi and stood in front of him "Whatever business that concerns Lena's admirer also concerns me. He is a threat to her and I need to be involved and hear all the information you can give me. Do not miss any information just because of business Luigi. I am so frustrated right now. You have no idea. I am the last to find out Lena has an admirer from Sicily and cherry on top he is now in America doing god knows what."

Luigi said "I have no intention of hiding anything from you Gianluca... I never thought Salvatorio was your problem... Take a seat Gianluca." He then sat down on his bed

Gianluca pulled a chair and sat opposite Luigi "Go on. Tell me what is going on here?"

Luigi sighed "I don't know where to start... You may not know all the details of the business matter here Gianluca... To cut the story short, the Romano family who only used to do business in Italy have now started investing in America as their businesses are booming. They have already taken over many areas and businesses on Boston... Now it is it New York's turn..."

Gianluca said "What?"

Luigi said "My father does have a range of businesses like all over New York. We do business with many other crime families. Some are big and some are small.  Somehow the Romanos have secured some big contracts that affects the businesses of many families on the east coast. Some of these businesses belong to families who do business with us... They are mostly smaller crime families with less protection who have to sign contracts when given the chance. Well, let's say... the Romanos have taken over many businesses who are our clients or we are their clients. We have two options. The first option is this.... We cut them out and we invest our money elsewhere. This option means we abandon some of our businesses leading to no financial loss to us of course because my father knows what he is doing. The second option is that we work with the Romanos..."

Gianluca said "You should not take the second option if there is no financial loss..."

Luigi said " You may say it is an easy decision. We should just stand our ground and avoid making ties with the Romanos who's morality and business values do not match ours... Never mind Salvatorio's interest in Lena... But it is not that simple... If we abandon these businesses many people may lose their jobs and they may not be willing to work for the Romanos if given the option. They may get killed. We may help them relocate but these businesses are not on our territories. If the Romanos decide to hurt these people who refuse to give their loyalty to the new owners if we are out of the picture then we will retaliate. We protect those who are loyal to us. A mob war over something that can be resolved with peaceful solutions is unnecessary."