32. Business Calls

Christian arrived home from school. He went to his room and got on with his homework. He was so upbeat about how his day had gone. He was very pleased with his progress with getting closer to Gabriela. She voluntarily spent time with him. He was very satisfied.

A knock came on the door. He said "Come in."

A servant came in with their head bowed "Sir. Your grandfather have asked me to pass on this message. They have asked me to tell you that they would like to remind you that you are expected to be ready to depart the mansion in half an hour with your grandfather to join a party at a Hotel for tonight. You will also have dinner at that party sir as you are aware..."

Christian said "I understand. I have not forgotten about tonight. You may leave..."

The servant said "Sir, I was about to deliver another message too. Your grandfather has also asked me to let you know that they expect you to wear new formal clothes for this party and ask for any assistance that you may require from the personnel to get ready on time."

Christian asked "Any more messages?"

The servant said "Yes there is sir. Your grandfather has asked me to also remind you that you need to remain at the party throughout the night until the end and not leave without permission to wander around the hotel. You are expected to remain until the end and leave with your grandfather..."

Christian sighed "I get the message... Tell my grandfather, I will do as he asked."

The servant said "Sir. Do you need any assistance. Perhaps would you like me to iron the formal clothing that you are choosing to wear tonight for you?"

Christian said " No, I do not need any assistance. You are dismissed."

"Yes Sir." The servant bowed respectfully and left closing the door.

Christian decided to get changed now. He wore his suit and got ready. He then went back to his desk to finish the rest of his homework.

Christian managed to finish his homework and then as he was stretching, he heard a knock on the door "Sir, this is your 5 minute reminder. You are expected to make your way down the stairs in the next 5 minutes."

Christian said "I am coming." He then walked to the mirror and fixed his tie.

Tonight's party was quite important. The Irish American crime families at this party were not the ones that his grandfather or the close allies of the Kavannaghs did business with often. The territories they did business in was much farther away. But these crime families still regarded his grandfather very highly and invited him to their social events even if in terms of business the relationship was not that close.

Christian made his way down the stairs and waited in the lobby. Just then his grandfather made his way inside the lobby.

Christian said "Hello grandpa."

Christopher Kavannagh said "Hello Christian." He looked at him up and down as he walked closer to him "This new suit fits you well. I am glad you have chosen to wear it tonight."

Christian said to his grandfather who was now standing in front of him "Of course grandpa. You told me to pick new formal clothes for tonight. That is what I did. I did follow your instructions..."

Christopher smiled and reached his hand to Christian's face and stroked his cheek "Of course you followed my instructions... Let's keep this up for the rest of the night then. Now. Let's get down to business... Do I need to remind you to behave for tonight Christian? I am fond of the families attending this party."

Christian said "I will behave tonight grandpa. I will be perfect. I will be totally compliant to your wishes tonight grandpa."

Christopher Kavannagh pulled his hand away and said "Marvelous. Let's leave."