15. Literature

Gabriela was in her room reading a book. She heard a knock on the door. She called out "Come in." She saw one of the servants opening the door.

The servant said "Ma'am. Your brother has a guest. Mr Christian Kavannagh are here."

Gabriela sighed. She asked "Any news of when my brother is getting home tonight?"

The servant said "No ma'am. They were supposed to come back straight home after spending time at the restaurant. But then the plans changed when they were invited to go to the Alessandrini mansion for tea and pastry with Mrs Alessandrini."

Gabriela picked up her book and whispered to herself "Damn you Christian." She then made her way out of her room to down the stairs. Her mother would have greeted Christian instead but she had gone to have tea with Lidia Alessandrini. Gabriela had chosen to stay at home and read one of her recommended reading books from school. There was no point going to see Lena for a few hours. Her mother, Gina Bellagio was supposed to be back by now but the plans had changed now.

As the only Bellagio, Gabriela was meant to go and greet Christian. Her parents were very specific about the etiquette of receiving guests at their home. If any guest came to their home if they weren't available then her or Gianluca had to keep them company at least to make them feel welcome at their home. This was a sign of respect. They did not get many guests at their home. Whoever could step foot in the house of Bellagio had to be very close to them, be a relative or had to be of a high place in a crime family's hierarchy. Everyone else had to book appointments to see her family members at their place of work and be granted a visit. If her parents came home and saw Christian sitting alone, they would have reprimanded her and she wanted to avoid that.

Gabriela entered the living room and saw Christian sitting on a sofa as he seemed occupied looking at some the portraits on the wall. They had plenty of their single and family portraits hung on the walls. But when she entered Christian's attention turned to her as he stood up "Good evening Gabriela."

Gabriela walked to the opposite corner of the room and sat on another sofa. She opened her book and found the page where she had left a bookmark earlier on and said "Good evening Christian. What time do you call this? What is your business with Gianluca at this late hour?"

Christian sat down and stated "Gianluca had a business with me actually. He asked me to come over and hang out with him tonight after dinner to play some games perhaps. So I came."

Gabriela said "Well. I deeply regret to inform you that he is not home and he won't back anytime soon. He was supposed to return home straight after having his dinner at one of our family owned restaurants but he ended up at at Luigi's house because the Alessandrinis sent invite. Would you like to go home and come back another time perhaps or would you prefer to visit him at Luigi's house?"

Christian said "Neither option seems appealing. Gianluca invited me. So I have to see him before I leave. I can't go home. As for going to see him at Alessandrini territory, that is not a possible option. Mr grandfather's men who have brought me here won't take me there and won't let me go anywhere close to Alessandrini territory under any circumstances following my grandfather's orders."

Gabriela said "You could catch a taxi..." She knew Christian wasn't allowed to go there and he was not going to go there but she pushed this to annoy him.

Christian said calmly "I could. But then when my grandpa hears about it, he would attack the Alessandrini mansion to get me and the there will be a war. That is alright by me but I prefer to avoid a war if I have the option to wait for your brother to come back. It just seems abit extreme to me really start a war for the sake of a game of cards or billiard with your brother if you know what I mean. There are ... more worthy causes to start a war over them with the Alessandrinis." He of course was pointing to the case of Luigi ever becoming Gabriela's man. That would have been a worthy cause to declare war.