25. Vigilante

It was a Saturday evening. At the O'Brien mansion, Dean was having dinner with his family. There was four of them. His father, Daniel, his mother, Donna and his sister, Dina were having a quiet dinner. His parents and Dina were happily talking and eating but he was mostly silent. His thoughts was with Rose. Was she alive? Was she safe? He had no idea. For years the thoughts of the possibilities of Rose's predicament after she had escaped the Mcloughin property had really haunted him. He wanted to believe she had escaped. He wanted to believe no criminals had gotten their unclean hands on her after her escape. He knew if the Mcloughins wanted someone hurt they would have chased them to the ends of the earth to capture them. They took grudges. The thought of someone hurting his beautiful rose really bothered him.

Now since he had spoken to Christian he felt at so much peace. That hope that she could be alive and protected had made him feel so satisfied with his life. He felt like he could die happy now in peace knowing Rose was saved. The facts Christian had shared had left him no doubt that the father and daughter that the Alessandrinis had saved had to be Rose and her father. The name of ranch and the dates were matching. The incident had happened two weeks before his twelfth birthday and just around that time a father and daughter fleeing a land dispute with the Mcloughins over a ranch by the same name had taken refuge with the Alessandrinis. This just filled his heart with so much joy. He had never felt so much happiness in his life before.

He wanted to see her. He wanted to talk to her. He wanted to tell her how much he had admired her bravery that day. He wanted to get how much he loved her. He was willing to do anything to do for her. To make sure she was protected and happy. That could make him feel complete. It really could.

Dean's mother, Donna O'Brien said "Dean. Dina told me you break up with your girlfriend son. Is it true?"

Dean gave his sister a look and Dina shrugged. His mother would have found out anyways so he wasn't mad at his sister. He looked up "That is correct mother."

Donna sighed "Son. A girl needs to be promised to you this summer and you will have to marry that girl when we tell you too. That's how things have to be. You do know if you don't choose a girl, we will. So you must make your mind up."

Dean said "I understand." He then carried on eating. He had to follow what his parents instructions. His parents had been promised to each other officially when they had been seventeen and had gotten married when their parents had told them to later on. That was how they had done things and they wanted him do the same. The warning had come a year ago. They had told him he had two years to get himself a girlfriend who he was going to be promised to after his seventeenth birthday and he had to marry her and no one else when it was time that he was to be married and they were going to decide that. Before that warning he did not ever look at any girls twice. He really didn't. After meeting no girl could be his girl in his heart. He did not want to date and basically his parents had kept telling him off for not even talking to girls let alone go to have milkshake with a girl on a weekend. They thought if he did not choose his girl soon in his life to be promised to and the couple did not spend their college years getting to know each other, then the marriage was not going to be a strong marriage and their heirs could not have a good home life. Finally their complaints became too much for Dean and he had to be realistic. His parents were right.

His parents were going to force him to choose a girl and the girl was going to be promised to him anyways in the summer when he turned seventeen and he had to end up spending the rest of his life with her after marriage. If he didn't choose his girl they were going to choose her for him. So he had to meet a girl who he loved. He had to date to fall in love. His parents were not unreasonable really. Most boys his age in other crime families had already chosen the girls they loved and were dating them now with the intention of marrying them one day. His parents wanted him to be that kind of heir. They wanted him to choose a girl now as his girlfriend. Stake a claim and get to know her over the years and marry her. They were worried why he was not like most other heirs. How could he fall in love another woman when he only loved Rose. He could not fall in love.