3: House Guest

I had just opened the coffee shop, I told mum to stay home with the boys today and spend time together. We had staff coming in so I'd be able to manage until they arrive at 12. I just had to do the morning rush alone.  

Though normally I'd have no trouble with doing this I was very distracted by the woman sitting at her usual table by the counter. I took her, her tea and Muffin setting it down not saying anything as I went to take another customer's order. She looked completely defeated by the day already at it was only 8 in the morning, her eyes were puffy and bloodshot she was just looking dead ahead. She wasn't dressed in her typical clothes she was in gym shorts and a fluffy pullover, her laptop was open but the screen was off and her phone kept vibrating on the table but she was clearly ignoring it. 

I chewed my lip as I watched her, she wasn't doing anything but steering ahead into the obis. "That's $9.58 please I say sweetly dragging my eyes away from her, I set the card machine up for him before turning to grab his coffee and bagel. I handed it over he was the last of the morning rush. The indoor tables were empty but there were a few people basking in the morning sun in both outdoor areas. 

I walked over slowly hoping she noticed me before I got there. "Elizabeth?" I say as softly as I could she looked like she was about to shatter on the floor. She looked over at me. "Is everything okay?" This was the worst I'd seen her. "Yeah. Yeah." She wiped her face and turned her laptop on. "It's okay if it's not." "You're working." "We're not busy right now," I say pulling a chair out. "I'm fine." She told me firmly looking up at me she wasn't, she was lying to me and herself. "I'm going to overstep," I warned her. She gave me a challenging look. "Are you safe?" I scanned her face my eyes flicking between both of hers trying to gauge if she was or not. She took her lip between her teeth and chewed it. "You can leave." She says turning away from me. I felt sick. "Elizabeth." "I said you can leave!" She raised her voice making me jump slightly. "Okay," I say stand up and go clear a table. 

My hands trembled as I picked up a mug from the table. She was hurt, or she felt unsafe in her situation and it made me feel sick. I didn't know what I could do to help. I couldn't go and tell anyone it'll be in the newspaper as quick as I said it. I looked over at her throughout the day. I took her tea over to her every two hours like I normally did. The staff came in and I told them No one approached Table 7 making an excuse that because she's a high profile customer mum wants me to tend to her. 

It was a long day and the smile I normally look to when I'm stressed wasn't there she was so miserable right now. I could see the thoughts running around her head, she couldn't focus on her work, she'd pretend to be doing something when I came over to take her tea. 

I sat a grain bowl down on the table with some cutlery, she hadn't touched her muffin today and she had been here since 8 it's now 7. The coffee shop is empty normally on days like this I'd close early but Lizzie was still sitting here, I'd stay open all night if it meant she was safe. I would have done this for anyone it's not just because she's a celebrity. She looked up at me confused. "I didn't order this." She says unsure. "I know. Just try and eat something." I say going back to the counter. I pull a stool around and sit on it behind the till whilst I eat my own grain bowl having not had much to eat myself today. I sent the other staff home early because of how empty it was I mean it was a Saturday evening. Lizzie eats a little but I could tell she didn't have much of an appetite. 

My phone rang and I pulled it out of my apron pocket. "Hey mum," I answered. "Are you still at work honey?" "Yeah." "Oh, on a Saturday?" "Yeah still got a few people in." I lied it was just Lizzie. "Wow, that's new." I nod despite she couldn't see me. "How has it been today?" "Pretty busy at lunch as always and then fizzled out. But steady." She paused. "What's up mum?" I asked sensing she wanted to ask me something. "Are you doing okay sweetie?" "Yeah? A little tired but when I get back home I can rest." "I mean with the whole" "Mum I'm working," I warned her. "Sweetie you have to talk about it at some point." I chewed my lip setting my food down. "I have a customer." I lied. "Call me back." "Yeah. Bye, love you." I hung up before she could say anything.