17: Birthday Night

NELL'S POV

"Just try it." "I don't want to," I tell Scarlett. She invited me to her place to get ready and a few people were meeting us there. She hated me for a few minutes when I got back to New York but then I explained what actually happened and then she understood. She trying to get me to swap my trouser and crop top combo for a dress of hers. "Please." "Scarlett," I whined back. "For me? You ignored me for three weeks." "I thought we decided to blame Lizzie for that." "We did but you still have to make it up to me." She held the dress out again. "Fine but I'm not wearing it." I slip off the clothes I was planning on wearing and lay them neatly on the bed before slipping in the dress. I hold it up and turn to Scarlett and she zipped me in easily without my having to ask. "It fits perfectly." She gushed. "No." "Please." "No." 

"I'm letting myself in," Lizzie called. Scarlett smiled widely. "In the bedroom!" She called back and Lizzie bad her way in as I tried to unzip myself whilst arguing with Scarlett. "You look amazing." "Too bad I'm not wearing it," I say going to Lizzie for help and she unzipped me. "Why not?" She asked as she did, she held the dress up. "This isn't even your size." She accuses Scarlett. "That's because I brought it for Nell and she's refusing to wear it." "Why would you do that." "It's your birthday and you refused to accept gifts." "Because I don't need them." "Well you need to wear something and the dress is a gift. It's rude not to wear it." Lizzie zipped me back up. "It looks good." She assured me.

I liked the dress, it was a nice dress it just felt expensive. And I don't want to ruin or break anything with a price tag that I can't afford to replace.

 And I don't want to ruin or break anything with a price tag that I can't afford to replace

"You look good too," I tell Lizzie after having a second to pout. "Thank you for the dress Scarlett it's lovely." People started to arrive so Scarlett went downstairs. "I don't want to go." "Why?" "Because I don't know them." "But you'll get to know them." She tried. "It'll be like the thanksgiving party." "With a boy that Scarlett is trying to set me up with." "Yes but if it gets so bad just tell him your gay as you told me. It was pretty convincing." "Lizzie I am Bi." "See." "No, I'm serious." She froze. "Is that a problem?" My heart began to pound against my chest as I waited for some kind of response. "Of course not, I just thought you were teasing at the coffee shop." I shake my head. She smiled at me. Okay, we're fine. "Hunters coming." "Okay." "And I'll be there, the twins will be there." "Who else?" "Florence and she's bringing her sister she's your age." "Okay and?" "You'll like her I think. And then there's Becca coming." "What?" "We, MK, messaged her." "And you didn't tell me. No." "Nell." "No, I can't see her." "You was going to borrow her boyfriend's car." "Clearly I was lying so I could leave. I don't even think she has a boyfriend." "Well, she's coming." "Shit." "Hey, what's wrong?" 

"It should have been me." "What?" "Who died it should have been me." "No, it shouldn't have." "We were in my car." "So." "I was meant to drive but I was on the phone with a Dad so she drove and then it happened. It was meant to be me driving I was the one it was meant to hit not her she should be here and everyone knows it including her sister." "Nell you can't think like that." "Ria hates driving, she hated it I drove everywhere. But that one time I didn't drive we got hit by a car that slipped on ice and it killed her. It should have been me." "Stop listening to what your brother said." "I'm not it's the truth so go tell her she can't come." "Nell, she wanted to come to see you."