56: Plans And Promises

"What did you do to Piss, Liz off?" I asked Scarlett setting Rose's things down in the nursery. "We were talking and we didn't agree on something." "She's really upset." "I'm sorry." "What did you say to her?" "I told her to leave you." I choked on the air. "You said what? Why?" "She was upset about how you deal with things." "Death." She nodded at my bluntness. "And I said it's Nell, her focus is on work and taking care of people in order to do that she has to have a level of brutality to her. In less concise words." I nodded. "And she said she can't watch you do this to yourself so I told her to leave, she's only going to get hurt because you're you. This is who you are." "You have no right to tell her to break up with me. That's our business. Ours, meaning Lizzie's and Mine." "I know I just don't want to see either of you hurt and if you go back to not talking and her pushing you, you're never going to be happy, either of you." "And that's up to us not you. If one of us was so unhappy we'd say." I was pissed at her. What gave her the right to say such a thing to her? This is my relationship!

"I got to go." "I thought you wanted to play with Rose for a while." "I can't right now. I need to talk to my girlfriend. Who's head you've filled with lies." "What lies, I stated facts." "No, you stated your opinion that you don't think we'd work. Because we're different." "I'm sorry." "Call me if you need anything," I say before leaving the house and driving home. I should get a car, it's so much more convenient than walking and subways, but there's a lot of traffic in the city, like lots and you spend more time driving to place than you would if you just walked but for taking things back and forth like this weekend it's helpful. I haven't had my own car since the accident. I've not been scared of cars I just thought maybe my cars were bad luck, I had someone crash into the back of me the third week of having a car and then the accident with Ria but now I realise any car is accident prone if there's an idiot behind the wheel so why not just get one... I can afford it now, not paying for summer programmes and school fees, allowances. I wish I was still paying for all that. My bank account hasn't looked this healthy in a long time, Cassie's school fees pretty much wipe me out and I live paycheck to paycheck saving what I can for the following semester. I wish I still was living paycheck to paycheck because that would mean Cassie was here and alive and thriving but she wasn't and I had money instead of her and I hated it. I hated the money in my bank.

I parked the car in MK's spot and went into the house. "Returning the keys," I announce dropping them in the dish by the door. "Thanks." She called jogging into the hallway. "Lizzie said we're doing Christmas at yours in LA." "Correct." "Cool." "Dad will be there." "And staying in a hotel." She laughed at my quick comment. "Was he okay with her at Thanksgiving?" "Ashley and mum kept him in line." "Good." "The way she fears him though... Do you think he's ever hurt her?" "I believe that's a conversation to have with Lizzie. I wasn't there when she was growing up." "Right, how are you both?" "Busy... I have the Rokh spring shoot to plan and Lizzie is getting ready to shoot her new tv series." "So different states for a while then?" "Um... We've not discussed if she wants me there or not." "You'd go with her?" "I mean my work is pretty flexible, I have space in New York and Cali I could rent a space in Altadena, so I'm close to her. From home to there it's the same distance I travel to the malibu studio, which means we can do lunch and dinners together on her breaks if I'm working in the same area she is." "You really thought it through huh." "I don't want to do the long-distance thing forever, it's important that we're flexible." "You mean that you're flexible." "Why me?" "Well, Lizzie isn't sacrificing anything. You're moving states, taking on another studio space in a place you hate." "I don't hate LA. And Lizzie sacrifices a lot for me. She misses events, she's stayed home since Cassie to take care of me. She does a lot for me." She just smiled. "Just checking you still know she's amazing." "Of course I do." "Good. Are you going to marry her?" "Someday, I hope so." "Good, she deserves you." "She deserves the world," I say simply, Lizzie is a great woman and she deserves the best. "And you're her world. So stay." "I'm not going anywhere. I'm assuming you've spoken to her?" I tilt my head. "Yeah, she's on the phone now." I follow her threw and seeing her so upset broke my heart. "Hey, Bug." I smile at her. She wiped her face quickly. "I love you and I'm on my way home." "I made dinner." She sniffled out. "Thank you, I'll talk to you when I get it. Stay on the phone. I'll be 20 minutes." She nodded I handed the phone back to MK gave her a hug and rushed home making it back in 15 instead of 20 thanks to the perfectly timed subway.