48: Dancing In Grocery Stores

"Where is it?" I asked Lizzie when she answered. "What?" "My picture where is it?" She smirked into the camera. "You took it! Lizzie." I whined flopping on my bed. "It was cute! I had to steal it." "I could have given you one to take from the apartment. I wanted that with me." "You're obsessed." "You legit stole it out of my case." "I'm sorry, don't be mad." "I'm annoyed. I want my picture of you." I pout as I whine. "Did you get my note?" I held it up and she smiled. "I love you." "I love you too." We both chuckled at our patheticness. It had been 13 hours and we were already missing each other. I got to my room and started to unpack and noticed the photo I put in my case was missing and replacing it was a note, as cute as the note was I wanted my picture of her by my bed so I could see her when I missed her.

-------------

Being in LA without Lizzie was different. Things felt overwhelming, I was constantly at home or in the studio so I was just surrounded by my dad the whole time and I admit I've been avoiding my feelings surrounding my dad, yes I miss him and I love him but I'm in denial, he's not coming back. I visit his grave and I feel peace but everywhere else it's just the memories of what once was and I couldn't cope with it. I had managed a week in the house and I've been getting up early for a run along the beach and surfing. I've been pretty MIA with Lizzie too. To be honest, my phone has been dead for three days and I've been contacting clients by email.

Right now I was sitting in my window with a book watching the ocean roll in and out of shore It was kind of calming and it was enough to distract me from one of Lizzie's books. There was a light knock on my door, I looked away from the water and stared at the old beach wood door. There was another knock snapping me out of my daze. I had to talk to whoever was behind that door. I sighed. Work had really taken up all my social battery this week. I made sure to have Sunday off to spend with my family but I have been up here since I woke this morning and hadn't found it all too appealing to go downstairs just yet. "Nell?" "Come in," I say finally mustering up the energy to reply.

"Hi, honey." "Hey, mum." I smiled at her. "How are you feeling?" She sat on my unmade bed looking at me. "I'm fine, just reading," I say showing her the book in my hand. "Poetry? Not seen you read that in a while." "I finished all mine, this is Lizzie's." "Oh, that's nice." I nodded looking out the window again. "Where's your phone sweetie?" "Um, somewhere." I gestured around the room that was a little messy. "Is it on?" "It died on Wednesday." "Did you leave your charger in Milan?" "No." "Oh." I shrugged. "Did you not want to charge it?" "No, not really." "What about Lizzie?" "What about her?" "She's been trying to call you." "It's fine." "No sweetheart it's not fine." I looked back out the window. "You can't do this, you can't check out sweetie, you need to communicate with her." "I will." "Now. She's really worried about you." "I've been busy." "She's on the phone to Cassie, go talk to her." "I'm about to head out." "You're in your pj's you're not going anywhere." "I'm going to surf." "Nell." "Okay." I sighed dramatically.

I head downstairs. "Morning." Cassie kissed my cheek handing off the phone to me. "Are you okay?" Lizzie rushed out straight away. "I'm fine, just been busy." "My calls haven't been going through." "My phone died." "Wheres your charger?" "In my bag somewhere." I head outside and down to my rock I like to sit on and take photos. "You're not doing okay are you?" "Lizzie I'm fine. Did you get what I sent you?" I asked her, wanting to change the subject. "Yes, I love it. I'm wearing it to dinner with Brie and Flo tonight." I smiled happily. I found this dress in Milan and I could resist getting it for her. "I'm glad you like it." I pushed open the gate to the beach and started to take the steps down. "Where are you going to dinner?" "An Indian place." "Ooh sounds nice. You going dancing after?" "Yeah, maybe." I put my phone on the rock and then climbed up on it before picking her back up.

"Talk to me." "What do you want to talk about? Oh, I'm reading that Poetry book you put in my bag. I like it so far. Some really pretty poems." "What's going on with you? Are you taking your meds?" "Yes." "Then what's happening, we talk every single day. And then nothing." I shrugged. "No, we're not going back to this." I rolled my eyes. "Nelly." "It's just a lot, I haven't got my escape here. I'm stuck surrounded by his memory every second of the day." "Go home." "I'm working I can't just go home." "My home, our home in LA." "You're not there I can't just go into your house." "Yes, you can it's your home." "Ask me properly." I teased her, with a playful smirk gracing my lips. "Tell Matty to let you in the spear key is in the safe in the office. Make yourself at home there's no food so make sure you go get some." "Thank you." "And charge your damn phone. Calling your mum is humiliating and I can't explain to her why I'm so flustered." "Why are you so flustered?" "I was worried you were off your meds and in a bad way." "I don't just go off my meds, Lizzie. They keep me functioning. That's like someone stopping breathing, it's just not a practical thing to do." "But it happens." "It does when I don't have them with me. And I have them with me, you packed them yourself. You packed me double in case I lost some." She nodded. "I'm sorry, I should have kept my phone on." "Yeah, you should have. You had me worried, you idiot." "I miss you." I say "Three weeks." "Three weeks," I reply back, the number of weeks we have until we can see each other again.