12: Dinner

Scarlett came to visit me in LA and it was nice to have her here. I saw her on NYE my sisters threw a party and practically everyone in the industry was there. I just hung out with Scar and Flo the whole time. I've gotten to know Florence a lot better, we have a group chat and she's so sweet and funny it was kind of hard not to get on with her which I was glad about because I was really nervous about working with her. Scarlett and she had already done the black widow film together so they knew each other pretty well. 

We were laid by the pool relaxing in the sun. "Have you seen Nell recently?" She asked casually just making conversation. "No, with all the holidays we kept missing each other. I'd fly out as she was flying in." I tell her. "You've not seen her since thanksgiving?" She asked shocked. "Nope," I say sitting up to match her positioning. "Have you?" She nodded. "We've hung out a few times actually. She's so funny." "You have?" She didn't mention that. Given when we would talk on the phone she'd focus on me and how I was doing and no matter how hard I tried to talk about her somehow we'd end up talking about me again. It's honestly like a superpower of hers. "Yeah, been to lunch, coffeeshop. The hastings is so cute. I love how lowkey it is despite it being pretty popular." I nodded agreeing. "And I stayed at her place after a night out." "You went on a night out together?" Seeing Scar when she was drunk around Nell when she was in front of people she knew led to them kissing never mind them not being with other people. "She's just easy to get along with you know. And she really doesn't give a rat's ass about who we are. And it's refreshing. She's so mature for her age." "She had to grow up fast," I say more to myself, she wouldn't want me telling Scarlett about her past, I had to get her mum to tell me before she would even mention anything to do with it. "Do you like, have feelings for her?" "She attractive. But she doesn't give much away." "She's a private person." "I'm a private person she is like a spy or something." She jokes. "She doesn't like telling me anything about herself." I chuckled understanding Scarlett's frustration. "Why is she like that?" She asked genuinely concerned. "Who hurt her?" "Her best friend passed away a few years back... I think that has something to do with it. But Scarlett I mean it, never bring that up with her unless she tells you herself because she'll literally never speak to me again." I tell her quickly. "Wow." "You have to be patient with her she'll tell you things eventually." She nodded. 

"Have you invited her to your birthday?" "Yeah, she can't make it she's in Milan for work." She raised her eyebrow. "What work is she doing in Milan?" She asked impressed. "She's a photographer. An everything Photograph so it could be scenic commission pictures or fashion. Or a family holiday. She pretty much does everything." I explain. "Impressive." I nodded. "Why don't we do your birthday Dinner in Milan." "No." "Why?" "She'll kill me." "But you want all your friends there." "It's fine, she's busy I get it. Anyway, it's not a big birthday so I don't care." "It's not normal how much she works." She says laying back down. "She has the work ethic of a 40-year-old." She added and I laughed laying down again. 

-----------

"Why don't you just call her to hang out?" MK asked as we lay on her bed. "Because she hasn't texted me back from three days ago when I told her I was coming to New York for work," I explained. I haven't seen Nell in months now. Since Thanksgiving, it is now May. "You know how busy she gets, she's probably hunched over at her computer editing photos." "She would have texted back. Maybe she's just sick of me. That's probably it." "I'll call her." "Don't." We wrestle for her phone and she wins sitting on me so I couldn't move her hand holding both my wrists against the bed. "This is bullying I'm going to tell mum." "Grow up, Elizabeth." She says with narrowed eyes holding the phone with her other hand. It was on speaker. 

"Don't pick up. Don't pick up." I mumble to myself my eyes squeezed shut. "Hello? MK? Is Elizabeth okay?" She asked quickly. "She's fine. Yeah just wanted to give you a call. I haven't heard from you in a few days." She says casually like it wasn't holding me down and lying. "Yeah sorry, I've just been super busy, not even looked at my phone. Oh, shoot. Elizabeth messaged. She okay?" "She's good. She's here actually. Say Hi, Lizzie." "Hi," I mumble shooting daggers at my older sister. "I'm so sorry. I haven't checked my phone in days. I've had this big. You know what it doesn't even matter." She dismisses. "How about dinner? At MK's tonight." I suggest. MK smiled at me. "I'm not in New York." "What?" "I'm currently in England." "Wow." "Sorry, Lizzie." "No, it's fine." "Who's that?" Was the Scarlett? "Oh, it's Lizzie on MK's phone." "Is that Scar?" "Yeah, she had a break in filming so she came with. It's been nice to have company." "Hey, Nell." "Yeah?" She replied to MK. "When you back?" "Tomorrow actually. Our flights in two hours." "Perfect, we'll do dinner then." She says smiling at me. "Yeah sounds great." Nell agreed. "Tell Ash I said hi." "Will do." "We have to go," Scarlett said. "Okay. Yeah. Bye." There was some movement.