6: Park Bench

LIZZIE'S POV

I was walking through central park. I needed a minute away from my sisters. They just didn't understand why I would throw away my 3-year relationship over a rough few months. I didn't tell them he hurt me because it seemed irrelevant and they'd want me to press charges and I didn't want that. Robbie was a good guy. He was he just made a mistake. But that mistake doesn't mean I should take him back because I am worth more than that. I am. That's what Scarlett said anyway. 

I take in the people around me as I stroll through. New York was very different to LA, it's colder here, people are always in a rush for something and no one really smiles. I've been talking to Nell over text for weeks now. She really helps she just lets me talk and then when I start spiralling or second-guessing she pulls me back and reminds me what actually happened because I have the tendency to sugar coat it and make me out to be the bad guy. 

I missed her like actually missed seeing her. She has this way about it, a soft smile that's lazy just always on her face and it makes me smile too and then when she's listening she's never judging me. And she knows when I'm getting anxious and says something that makes me forget about it or laugh. When I stayed with Hastings we had fun. We went running on the beach in the morning and went for a swim twice. We baked she taught me how to do the blueberry muffins. I'm not as good as her I've made them twice since she's left and they were pretty sucky. 

Now I'm seeing her... Or someone that looks like her. I frowned and squinted through my sunglasses, was it her? She looked really sad. Not sunshine like when she was in LA she was frowning and her gaze was fixed on the book in her hands but not moving like she was reading. I looked around and found a coffee stand. 

"Hi." "Hi, what can I get you?" "Two tea's please." "Coming right up." "Oh and a muffin," I add. I swap cash for the drinks and muffin and walk over to the bench. I sit on the other end and slid the tea down to her, it nudged her leg and she looked over. She had been crying. "Hey. What are you doing here?" She asked looking away and wiping her face before turning back to smile at me. "I'm visiting my sisters. I told you." "I didn't know your sisters were in New York." "Yeah, What are you doing here?" "I live here." I frowned. "Where did you think I went?" She chuckled picking up the tea and sipping it. "Not New York! I've been here for a week and we could have hung out." I say pouting slightly. "Well, now you know." She teased. 

"Are you okay?" "Yeah." She nodded. "It's a sad book." She says. She was lying. "You sure?" "Yeah..." "So how are your sisters?" "They're okay... Annoyed at me." "Why? What did little miss perfect do?" "Firstly not Perfect." She pulled a face and shrugged. "Secondly, I didn't do anything... well I did I called off my engagement." "And they're annoyed at him?" "No at me. Because I ruined my life." She gave me a look. I knew the look well. "I'm assuming your sisters aren't idiots so you haven't told them the whole truth yet?" I chewed my lip and shook my head. "You should tell them that you made a choice that is right for you and your life isn't ruined. You're what? 25?" "27." "You have forever to get married and settle down in a house with kids. You're haven't ruined your life. And that they should respect your choice because you are a capable adult and know what's best for your own wellbeing." I nodded listening to what she said. "They think I should meet up with him to talk things through, with them there as a buffer to stop the arguments." "Is that what you want?" "No. I can't see him." I made my hands into fists to stop them from shaking. "Then just tell them no." I want to forgive Robbie and I want my old life back but every time I thought about seeing him my body just goes into panic mode reliving the night at the coffee shop. "But they'll push and push." "You're allowed to just say no, Elizabeth." "They told me that." I smile remembering when I was younger they would tell me I'm allowed to just say no. That I don't have to explain myself. "Then they should respect that." I nodded.