15: Help

I finally had the courage to call Nell after the fifth talk with my sisters this weekend. "This caller is unavailable." "She's blocked me," I say pulling the phone in my ear. "Maybe she's on the line." I shake my head. "Her phone always rings... She always answers her phone that's how everyone gets in contact with her. Because she gets busy and she doesn't answer messages so if it's important you call her." I explained. They nodded listening. "She hates me." "No, no we're not doing this." Ash stopped me. 

---------

We went to the coffee shop. I was hoping to see Annabella but she wasn't there. We sat at my table and, table seven. Ashley was smiling at me. "What?" I asked not understanding why she was smiling at me. There was nothing to smile about today. 

My strawberries have a bug infestation, my friend blocked my number, now Annabella isn't here. "Lavender tea and a blueberry muffin." "A flat white and a black coffee." I turned quickly as she set the dishes down off of her tray. "Nell?" "Anything else?" She asked ignoring me. "Eleanor." She turned to walk away. "Eleanor!" "Yes?" "Do you have a minute to talk?" She looked around at the busy store. "All the time in the world and a pet unicorn." She said sarcastically. "Give me an hour?" I nodded. She forced a smile before going back to the counter. 

"She remembers your order that's cute," MK says. "She remembered yours too,"  I note. "It's going to be okay." They say in unison. "Or this could end in more tears." I sigh out and pick up my mug sipping it slowly before breaking off a piece of my muffin. We sit and chat for a while but I try and plan what I was going to say to Nell.  

Her mother came in and I waved to her and she smiled. Somethings wrong. I watched her talk to Nell they both looked serious. Wait what was Nell doing here? Something had to of happened. Annabella handed her a set of keys I assume the store keys before leaving swiftly. Nell touched her head with the palm of her hand before running her fingers through her hair. 

"Somethings wrong," I say. "Liz you're just nervous." "No with Nell's family. Something is going on. She shouldn't be here and she's not due back until Thanksgiving. And Annabella always works Wednesday." "Maybe they had a change in schedule." "Nope," I say. "She doesn't like it here. She only comes back if she has to come back." "Lizzie, it's been a month since you guys spoke a lot could have happened." "Clearly because she's here." 

------

The rush had died down and I approached the counter. "Come through." She says nudging her head as she counted some change out. I slipped through and went to the backroom she took me to when Robbie attacked me here. I sat down and waited for her. She came through eventually. "Hi," I say suddenly feeling shy. "Hi." She said grabbing water and sitting down. "Are you okay?" I asked. She nodded. "Yeah." "What about your family? I saw your mum come in earlier." "Yeah, they're fine. What's wrong?" She asked. "Nothing." "So you brought me in here to talk to you about what exactly? Sorry for being so blunt I have a lot to do." 

"Did you block my number?" She nodded. "Why?" "Because you didn't want to talk to me so I made it easy for you." "You sent your mum to check on me?" "I was worried. Your sister said you were really upset. You were alone and I was thousands of miles away." "Thanks." She just shrugged. 

"You kissed me. And then refused to talk to me." She says bluntly. "It was embarrassing." "You didn't even give me a chance to talk to you about it." "I was mortified. Just ruined yet another thing." "If you let me talk maybe you would have been a little less freaked out. I tried to tell you we were fine and you just wouldn't listen." "Because you were just saying it to be nice." "How would you know that?" "Because it's what you do." I threw my hands up and she rolled her eyes. "Why are you even here then?" "I came to get a tea and a muffin." "There are millions of coffee shops why this one?" "Because I like this one... You can't block me from a coffee shop." I snarked.