85: Kailani

Lizzie finally got to come home today, leaving the hospital was tearful knowing our little girl was there alone for a few hours a day but it was comforting to know Lizzie was out of the woods with her infection and she wasn't at any risk of further complications. Knowing she was well enough to come home and not have to have 24 hour observations was nice.  

Her mum and dad were bringing her home and my mum was helping me cook a meal for our family and get the house ready for her, I had her favourite sweats and one of my hoodies on our bed candles ready to be burnt for her bath tonight along with fresh sheets fluffed pillows and Lizzie approved snacks. Tonight we were both staying home having spent a week straight in the hospital we both needed the rest in our own home, but after that, we're taking it in turns to stay at the hospital we'd spend 3 hours at home together and then we'd switch until Kailani was ready to come home. 

"You've gotten a lot better at cooking," Mum observed as I moved around the kitchen I now felt at home in. "Liz has taught me a lot," I say with a shrug as I add more seasoning to the sauce I was making. "I've hardly had to help." She says and I smile. "I'm growing up, Mum." She smiled at me as I looked over my shoulder at her. "I see that now." I smiled wider at her before turning back to the stove. 

"Eleanor, we're home." David's voice had bass as it carried through the house a complete contrast to what I'm used to. I wipe my hands on the apron skirt and go help them at the door. Lizzie was still in a little discomfort from the birth but able to walk around on her own. "Hi, welcome," I say inviting them in Liz gravitated to my side instantly. "I missed you." She kissed me. "I've been gone two hours my love," I noted and she gave me a look. "I missed you too," I say kissing her quickly. "Dinner smells amazing." She says. I take her and her parents into the kitchen she wants to be by me so I help her onto the counter she begins to micromanage me and when I ignored her doing it my way she was getting stressy with me. "Elizabeth, Eleanor is cooking let her cook." Her mum says. "But." "Elizabeth." She said in a singing tone and I tried to not laugh because I would get a hit in the chest from her. 

"I made your blueberry muffins," I say trying to sweeten her up. "Can I have one?" She asked innocently giving me her puppy eyes. "Of course princess" She eyed her dad up as I moved to the cooling stand and got her one. "Eat it, you deserve it," I whispered to her pecking her cheek, she slowly took it from me. "He's changed, don't worry." "What if he says something?" "Then he'll be finding somewhere else to eat dinner." She chuckled and took a big bite of the muffin. "That's my girl," I say turning back to the pans. 

The twins arrive before I dish up the food and we sit around together enjoying the atmosphere but my thoughts are constantly on K, I hated the fact she was alone, I know the nurses were sitting with her and monitoring her and talking to her but one of us should be there. "You're thinking too hard," Lizzie whispers to me resting her hand on my thigh. "Thinking about Kailani." She smiled a tight smile before nodding understanding. "We could go, after dinner." "You pair are going right to bed after dinner," Jarnie warned us ruining our plotting completely. "But she's all alone in the big scary hospital." I pouted, trying to get them to give in to us. "Then her grandpa will be there with her," David said and we all were shocked. Lizzie even choked on her drink. "What?" "I'll stay with her tonight, you both can get some rest and Eleanor will come in the morning to take over." "You'd do that?" "She is my grandchild." He says before putting food in his mouth. "Right." I was unsure about it and looked at my mum. "Well, we could both go. Keep her company." I nodded, liking that idea. "I'll join too. All her grandparents watching over her." "Yeah, that would be nice. But you have to call us before bedtime so we can say goodnight." "She's a week old every second of the day is bedtime." MK points out. "7 O'clock actually it's her big feed before she goes down," Lizzie said with narrowed eyes, Kailani had a routine already. MK raised her hands in surrender. "Okay, we'll call you at 7 if you're still awake." Her mum teased us, clearly, we were both exhausted but we'd stay awake.