Chapter 31 - coal

- Third POV -

Momo peeps over a wooden crate where the Aang, Mizuki, Sokka and Katara are hiding behind numerous boxes. The teenagers are huddled together, seated on the metal ground in the darkness.

"We don't have much time. What are we gonna do?" Whispers Sokka.

"I wish I knew how to make a hurricane" Whimpers Aang. Sokka, Mizuki and Katara look confused at Aang.

"The warden would run away and we'd steal his keys!" Explains Aang.

"Wouldn't he just take his keys with him?" Asks Sokka in an annoyed tone.

"I'm just tossing ideas around" Shrugs Aang.

"Shouldn't we get the earthbenders to stand up for themselves? I mean, it's their freedom we're fighting for. Not ours" States Mizuki.

"I tried talking the earthbenders into fighting back, but it didn't work! If there was just a way to help them help themselves" Sighs Katara.

"Oh" Mutters Mizuki as she starts thinking of a way to help the earthbenders.

"For that they'd need some kind of earth, or some rock. Something they can bend" Points Sokka out.

"But this entire place is made of metal!" Complains Katara.

"No, it's not. Look at the smoke! I bet they're burning coal. In other words, earth" Says Aang while pointing at the smokestacks. 

❀❀❀

It's morning. Sokka and Katara are standing by an air duct. Sokka is peering down into it, while Katara kneels beside it with her hands on its rim.

"It's almost dawn. We're running out of time! You sure this is gonna work?" Asks Katara who's slightly nervous.

"It should. These vents reminded me of our little trick back at the village. We're gonna do the same thing, but on a much bigger scale. There's a huge deposit of coal at the base of the silo. And the whole system is ventilated. Aang closed off all the vents except one. When he does his airbending the coal only has one place to go, right back here. And we've got Mizuki as back up plan" Explains Sokka.

"There's the intruder!" Shouts a guard. The two siblings are suddenly surrounded by a number of spear-wielding Fire Nation guards. The prisoners have gathered a safe distance away from the spectacle, observing what is happening.

"Stay back! I'm warning you" Shouts Sokka as he pulls out his boomerang, standing in front of Katara.

"Katara, stop! You can't win this fight!" Yells Tyro.

"Listen to him well, child. You're the one mistake away from dying where you stand" Threatens the warden. Suddenly, a huge wave of water sweeps all the guards off their feet. Before the guards can stand up Mizuki freezes the water and glares at the warden.

"Maybe she can't win this fight. But I can" States Mizuki. She calmly walks over to the Water Tribe siblings who are taken aback by Mizuki's bold actions. The Fire Nation soldiers start using their fire bending to free themselves from the ice. A sudden rush of air fills everyone's ears as the facility shakes. The ventilation shaft bursts off its hinges as an immense blast of coal soars into the air, crashing down into a gathered pile. Everyone present is silent, staring in stark surprise at this turn of events. Lastly, Aang leaps out from the barren ventilation shaft, landing atop the coal pile and coughing. Covered in soot and dirt. Momo follows him and Katara runs up to the coal and turns around to face the earthbenders.

"Here's your chance, earthbenders! Take it! Your fate is in your own hands!" Shouts Katara determined while lifting up a piece of coal. Haru bolts ahead without hesitation, prepared to bend the waiting coal as a weapon. Tyro throws his hand up, bracing his son's chest to halt him. Meanwhile all the Fire Nation soldiers who managed to melt the ice stand up again.