Chapter 2

Day 21:

Day 21:

"How are you feeling Iz?" I ask sitting down with her, Meredith and Cristina as she is getting another dose of IL-2. She looks up at me from where she is sitting in a chair hooked up to machines and says "not looking forward to the hurling im about to do, but I feel ok, I feel good." Cristina is sitting in another chair similar to Izzie's and she is holding a ice cream "Bailey's on some kind of rampage" she tells us eyeing her food hungrily "I think it's post-O'Malley Stress Disorder." She laughs but no one laughs with her.

Meredith smiles awkwardly "she's not dealing with the grief" she says and Cristina places one of her hands behind her head casually "sounds like Owen's shrink." I shake my head and stretch out my legs "Owen's shrink is withholding sex" I say "so she is grumpy and inappropriate." Izzie sits up a little more and turns to Meredith "is Derek doing that too?" She asks and the other blonde looks down at her affectionately "why would Derek withhold sex?" She counters.

"Alex is withholding everything. It's like he's afraid, but I don't know what he is afraid of" Izzie admits and then suddenly gasps and clutches my arm "I'm so sorry that was insensitive" I shake my head and stand up "No Izzie it's fine, you can talk about Alex whenever you want. I've got to go to surgery right now but I will come and see you later" I kiss her cheek and head out of the room. A familiar pit forming in my stomach.

Day 23:

Derek, Mark and I are standing at a nurses station, all looking at Richard inside an office talking to a lot of people "more suits?" I ask taking a sip of my coffee "it's freaking people out." Mark nods his head in agreement "talk of downsizing, corporate takeover, rumours that Webber's jumping ship. You've got the chief's ear. What's he got planned?"

We both look at Derek who looks away from us "he's retiring" he answers after a long sigh. My eyes go wide matching Sloan's expression "they are making me chief" Derek continues, standing up straight.

"No!" I say in disbelief and Derek smirks, nodding his head "yeah." Mark pulls a face and looks from me back to Derek "really?" He asks and I giggle leaning on the desk "the hospital will go bankrupt in a week" I joke and Derek sticks up his middle finger. Mark shrugs "I mean, the chief never said anything to me. I would've fought you hard for that. But hell I guess if that's what he wants, congratulations are in order." They shake hands and Derek smiles brightly, I nod my head to him "congrats man." I still haven't totally forgiven him for the whole wedding thing.

Derek starts laughing and Mark's smile drops "wait. That was..... your messing with us?" Derek nods his head and slaps Mark on the back "it's just too easy" I frown and flick a piece of hair from my face "not cool Shepherd" I say and he winks at me. "Seriously, what's going on?" Mark asks as we go back to looking through the glass "I have no idea" Derek admits.

Day 36:

"No mama you can't come and stay, it's busy. Im pulling double shifts at the hospital." I say into my phone as I pack my stuff for work "you work to much amor let me come and stay. We can spend some quality time together" I snort and pick up my bag "your idea of quality time is a spring clean. That's my idea of hell" after that comment I listen to my mum curse me in Spanish before she calms down and says "your father misses you."

I lock my door and roll my eyes "and why can't he tell me that himself?" I ask and she sighs heavily "you know your father is a proud man. He would never admit that."

I reach my car and unlock it "alright mama, I'm going to be late to work. I'll call you on my lunch break" I hear my sister and her wife in the background laughing about something "and tell the girls I said hi" I add and mama is silent for a moment "I love you Andromeda" my heart clenches and I bite my lip "I love you too mama."

I get to work and Alex comes running up to me "Andy guess what" he says, I'm caught off guard and jump when he speaks "what?" I ask and he smiles the biggest smile I have ever seen on him and I push down the thoughts I have of it making him more handsome. He is married now Andy remember that. "Izzie's cancer has stopped growing" this time a smile grows on my face and I gasp "oh my god! That's great news" I say and then he hugs me tightly around the waist "thank you" he says "for being there for me" and after a moment of hesitation I hug him back. We pull away, our faces so close to one another that our noses almost touch.

Awkwardly I clear my throat and step back, looking away. "I should go" I say tensely "rounds." He nods clearing his own throat and I walk away quickly. What the hell was that?

Day 39:

I feel someone wrap their arms around me as I wake up and i smile. I turn around in bed and open my eyes, my brown ones meeting piercing blue ones "good morning" Jackson says in his rough morning voice I have gotten used to the past couple of days "morning" I say, wrapping my arms around his neck and kissing him on the lips.

"What's the time?" I ask and Jackson reaches for his phone "uhhh 6:15" I sigh and run my hand through his hair "I have work in half an hour." Jackson groans and falls onto my chest "ughhh why do you have to be a stupid big shot attending" he moans and I laugh "you can stay here today" I say gently as I sit up and swing my legs over the edge of the bed "I finish at 9, we can grab some food. Maybe watch a movie." Jackson hums and falls back against his pillow "that sounds an awful lot like a date," he says and I frown.

I stand up and pick up another pillow "why do you have to ruin it?" I ask throwing it onto his face and then I get ready for the day. And for some reason my mind wanders to George O'Malley.

Once I get to work the Chief gathers us all in the main hall, for an announcement apparently. He goes up one set of stairs and I find Arizona "hey, do you know what this is about?" I ask and she shakes her head and looks hard at me "what?" I say and she points at my neck "is that a hickey?" I blush a deep Scarlett and try not so subtly to cover it "maybe" she scoffs and gives me the eye "you are so telling me about that later?" I roll my eyes and Richard starts to speak.

"I know all of you have heard a lot of rumours" he says "and I'm sorry for that. And what I'm about to say will be hard to hear, and I'm sorry for that as well. The economic climate is.... You all know what it is. In the coming weeks Seattle Grace Hospital will be merging with Mercy West. I wish I could tell you you'll all survive the merger, but there only so many jobs. And the board and I have some tough choices to make. I'm on your side people. I'm rooting for everyone of you. All I can say is please, be at your very best."

I look over at Arizona and we both have the same expression. Oh we are so fucked.