Chapter 37

Callie and Arizona left for their trip early this morning meaning that I am overloaded with cases since Stark didn't want to take any of Arizona's patients

Callie and Arizona left for their trip early this morning meaning that I am overloaded with cases since Stark didn't want to take any of Arizona's patients. Honestly I cant wait for them to get back because it looks like I wont be leaving this hospital until they do. "Andy!" I hear someone call, its Derek "Andy, wait!" I stop walking and wait for him to catch up. When he does, his expression is wild, manic and his breathing is ragged. I frown up at him "Derek?" I ask "what's wrong?" He takes off his scrub cap and runs a hand through his ink black har "its Callie and Arizona" he says and I freeze "they were in a car accident, they are heading back in an ambulance now."

My stomach drops and I feel sick "are they- are the ok?" I ask and Derek shrugs his shoulders, looking at me with sad eyes "it doesn't sound good." God I'm going to be sick. I nod slowly, swallowing hard "alright, lets go." I say starting for the ambulance bay. I can hear Derek behind me. I turn my head and ask "how far out are they?" There is a few seconds pause, I push open a set of doors "about 20 minutes." He answers and I let out a shaking breath, sending up a prayer to anyone who will listen that they are ok.

-

"The hell happened?" Mark says coming outside to wait with the rest of us, I'm standing with Alex and Lucy is standing on his other side. "Driver verses truck thats all we know." Owen answers, Mark looks around frantically "and her injuries?" he asks panicked "what....? The baby?" I slide my hand into my boyfriends who gives it a comforting squeeze. I clear my throat and say "we don't know yet." Mark glares at me and snaps angrily "why the hell don't you know? Someone get me a trauma gown."

No one moves as Webber says "Mark, you need to sit this one out." Mark rounds on him and barks "I'm not sitting this one out. That's Callie. That's my kid!" I wince. The last thing Mark needs is to loose this baby, after Nico, if he looses another one the same way. I don't think he will be able to cope. "Which is why you can't" Webber argues back delicately "I'm sorry, you cant be a doctor on this one." Mark pulls a face and his eyes dart away angrily.

"Screw you." He says and I widen my eyes at the sound of acid on his voice. "Sloan." Owen warns and this time Mark shouts "screw all of you!" He starts putting on a trauma gown as Webber walks over to him. "Look at me Sloan." He says softly "look at me. Look, maybe I don't understand what you two have, how you have it but understand this: she is your family. Callie Torres and that baby are your family. And the best way that you can help your family is to step back and let the rest of us do what you cant rationally do: save their lives."

We can hear the ambulance sirens before they pull up into the bay but when they do we all leap into action. "Hunt you're in charge." the chief announces as we all race for the ambulances. "Alright everyone." Hunt starts "multiple blunt trauma protocol. Lets go."

One of the ambulance doors open and Arizona starts talking "tachycardic and hypotensive en route. Obvious head and chest injuries." The stretcher comes down from inside the vehicle and Mark cals "Callie?" with no response "Callie we've got you, you hear me? Everything is going to be ok." Everyone is talking at once as we all look down at our friend. Bailey manages to speak above everyone else "wait, wait hold on. Is that blood coming from her chest? Is that blood?" someone takes off her oxygen mask and Callie starts choking on blood.